gear swap$$ ???

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
gearset ~$200
install kit can be anywhere between $40 and $80 depending on which bearings you wish to replace and how many shims you already have leftover from previous jobs.
install varies depending on whether you bring someone the center chunk or if its still attached to the car when you bring it in.

ask about a case spreader. if they tell you that they dont need one, turn around and find another shop. the aluminum housings need to be spread so you dont damage them when putting the carrier shims in. on an iron housing like a solid axle, you just us a hammer and beat them in. that would gall the case if you did that to the aluminum housing. in order to get the right preload on the diff carrier bearings, the bearings, differential, and shims put together is actually more than .010" wider than the opening. the case spreader is used to make the opening .030" wider.

racebronco2

Established Member
i agree with shelbyguy, make sure they use a case spreader. i have install my gearsets and tried not using one on the irs and it was a little noisy but they were the motive gears. i bought a new set of fms and a shop did the install and they are as quiet as the stock gears. the shop usually charges about 350.00 for the gear install for the irs with the case spreader.

Users who are viewing this thread