Gear Whine or Wheel Bearing

Defiant 5.0

Established Member
My car has whined since I purchased it. I was told by the Dodge dealer that I purchased it from that it has 3.90's on board. I just always assumed that the incessant whining was gear whine. However, I took a buddy of mine for a ride and he thinks that it's a wheel bearing. It is a pretty consistent noise that is just always present. The only time that it really seems to stop is when I am veering the car right, like if I'm going around a curve in the road. As soon as I straighten the car back out, it starts up again.

Thoughts?!?! I want to fix it but I need to know what to fix lol. My buddy and I are probably going to start by replacing the wheels bearings, but I just wanted some outside opinions before I started spending money.

sean04

Established Member
I had a camaro that did the exact same thing. The only time it would go away was in a turn when there was a side load on the car. It ended up being a bad front hub

stangn

Established Member
My 13 has had bearing Issues since new. opened axle at 1000 miles for a gear change and races were burnt through center. Did gear change and within a couple hundred miles making noise again. So I built a 9"......

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
My car has whined since I purchased it. I was told by the Dodge dealer that I purchased it from that it has 3.90's on board. I just always assumed that the incessant whining was gear whine. However, I took a buddy of mine for a ride and he thinks that it's a wheel bearing. It is a pretty consistent noise that is just always present. The only time that it really seems to stop is when I am veering the car right, like if I'm going around a curve in the road. As soon as I straighten the car back out, it starts up again.

Thoughts?!?! I want to fix it but I need to know what to fix lol. My buddy and I are probably going to start by replacing the wheels bearings, but I just wanted some outside opinions before I started spending money.
I don't think that the Dodge stealership knows what they are talking about. If your car is an auto, it came with 3:15. If manual, it came with 3:31 or 3:55. I don't think that they make 3:90s for mustangs but I could be wrong.

5lho

Established Member
Wheel bearings tend to moan or grumble, not whine. High ratio gearsets in 8.8s, tend to whine often, unless they are very carefully set up.

They do make 3.90 for 8.8s. However, in my opinion that's too much gear for an auto on street tires.

Defiant 5.0

Established Member
Mine's a 6mt. And while I agree that the guys at Dodge were idiots, it does have aftermarket gears. I drove my buddies 12 that has 3.31's and it was a completely different animal. I guess we'll just have to see when we pull the axles. If that doesn't work, more desperate measures need to be taken. In other words, it'll be time to reset some gears and shims lol.

Users who are viewing this thread