Gear Whine - Transmission or Rear Gears

OneSVTFan

Established Member
I have seen some posts concerning gear whine with at least one person who had rear end gears replaced but still has the whine. I have the whine in 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th with the noise level going up as you run through the gears. It is the loudest between 2000 and 2500 under cruising conditions. In sixth gear you can hear it over the radio. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have suggestions. Is it the transmission or rear gears? I have heard others say the sixth speed tranny has more noise but I can't believe this much. Still have the stock shifter, wanted to go to Pro5.0 but if aftermarket shifter makes this worse don't want to go there.

03DOHC

Established Member
Not a problem I have heard of. Aftermarket shifters can make the interior noise go up. An improperly installed ring and pinion will make noise too.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
I have had some since the day I drove it home. I have convinced myself that it is normal, although it is louder than I would like.
I am waiting to see if those who use aftermarket fluids have quieted them down some. If not, just have to expedite getting the new exhaust to cover it up.:-D

If you have put a large dent in the db level of the transmission with other fluids, please do tell...:beer:

Last edited:

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
Yo onesvtfan, I did a seach and found a few old threads about this topic, but would be nice to see if there is new information on the streets.
And another thing, if one wanted to help guide his dealer as to what to try first, what comes to mind?
I for one would like the dealer to be able to help me fix my problem the first time around, I am not a huge fan of having any of my vehicles there. In and out is best.
Once had a brand new 95 Monte SS (the wifes ride) get totaled at the dealer, we only took it in for a minor paint flaw, ended up with a 95 Impala SS:-D
:beer: its all good now..
sry for the soap box trip, back the transmission whine at hand would be good,
Ken

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
If you are sure it is gear whine and it is that loud - something is wrong. It sounds like they don't have the backlash adjusted right. It is pretty tricky on our cars, and pretty common on ones that have had their gears replaced. Take it to a good dealer and get it fixed, your just grinding your ring gears down and they will wear out pretty quickly.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
I am sending this back TTT for a couple of reasons.
1. The previous post now has me worried. I don't think mine is anything like the original poster, but still don't like it. And I don't want to be damaging things because I don't like taking it to the dealer.
2. I guess my question is, does everyone have "some" noise? What defines too much. I don't like going to the dealers as I stated earlier, but thinking about taking them for a ride to get their opinion. I would love to hear of a quick lube fix that has been working, or even changing the fluid to something else. I am not really keen on changing out major parts only to find it did not slve the problem.
Bottom line, should we living with "some" noise? Or can it be 99% taken care of somehow?
Late first run, built July 23rd.
Any help would be nice, and I am sure the original poster would appreciate it too.:beer:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> I guess my question is, does everyone have "some" noise?

A light grinding noise through the gears, particularly in 5th. Never noticed how loud the gears were until I sat as a passenger while a friend was driving. Our trannies really do clunk and whiz...

> Bottom line, should we living with "some" noise?

I do. Clunks and grinds sound great, particularly when amplified with an MGW and PRO-5.0.

> Late first run, built July 23rd.

Second run, 09/26/02. BTW, two coats of Race Glaze holding up well. Thanks kens03cobra. So far, so good...

cobrabruce

Established Member
Mine also whines pretty much the same way you describe yours. I'm convinced it's the tranny and not the rear because it whines both while accelerating and decelerating. In my experiance, rears usually only whine either while under load or coasting, not both, depending on how the gears are meshing. I tried an additive which someone posted about a while back claiming it eliminated all the whine for him but it made no difference for me. Someone else also said Royal Purple ATF quieted his down a lot but I don't know if I will try it. I'm debating whether or not to take it to a dealer to get looked at but the issue is now on hold until the snow melts and rain washes all the blasted salt off the roads around here.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
ox03, thanks for the reply, I will rest a lil easier now. Wont run right down to the dealer with what may not be a problem.

No problem with the Race Glaze hook up. I am sure the more you use it the more you will like it. It really does great.
I used the Gloss Highlighter for the first time the night before our Hood Canal Cruise, I was impressed. I know in an earlier post I mentioned I did not use it much, that has changed. I have not polished since October, and the finish is still show quality. I also use their car wash, great all around system. They say it lasts for 6 months, my experience has proven it will last longer than that if cared for properly. My 1994 F-150 still looks great, and I don't take care of it like I should :(

Thanks again, you eased my concern some....:beer: :

2003white_cobra

Established Member
T56 Gear Whine

I have a similar problem with my T56 six speed in my Cobra. From what I gather the T56 tremec produces is a noisy tranny. When Borg Warner made it is was quieter. I tried different lubes with marginal results. The quietest lube I have tried is RedLine. The biggest improvement however was to stuff foam on top of the shifter, under the leather boot...AND....I bought some dynamat (used for sheet metal around car speakers to dampen noise, get it from a car stereo dealer...probably a high end dealer) I used a heat gun to apply a couple of coats of this dynamat stuff to the whole shift stick and that seemed to help quite a bit in dampening the trannies rattles and noises. BTW, removing the factory rubber mount on your shifter will really increase the noise level coming through the stick. Most of the noise you hear is being transferred through the stick. So putting dynamat on it helps considerably. Forget the bogus claims of Royal Purple and other additiveds...they didn't do me any good and I think they could cause more problems.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Re: T56 Gear Whine

first thing I'd be checking is the fluid level, quite a few have posted that either their rear or trans was way underfilled from the factory...

Originally posted by 2003white_cobra
I bought some dynamat (used for sheet metal around car speakers to dampen noise, get it from a car stereo dealer...probably a high end dealer) I used a heat gun to apply a couple of coats of this dynamat stuff to the whole shift stick and that seemed to help quite a bit in dampening the trannies rattles and noises.

that is an excellent idea, that stuff really works....

Users who are viewing this thread