Gearing For A 98 GT

dropmonkey

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me which gearing is best for the 1998 Mustang GT. Right now it's bone-stock, but I'm planning on adding underdrive pulleys, a shifter, an induction kit, an exhaust, and a performance chip to try and push the HP closer to the 275 that the F-bodies have.

Are 3.73s or 4.10s best ???

And how do each affect the ratios in 4th and 5th gear ???

I'm looking for a ratio that'll give me a little something extra off the line but that doesn't affect the low-rpm highway mileage that I do. I'm hoping to return kinda similar gas mileage on long journeys as I am just now, but want the gears to help me take a second or so off my 1/4 mile time.

Any help will be appreciated. Happy Thanksgiving y'all !!!

Alasdair. :smmon:

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Hey welcome to the site man! Nice to see another 98GT owner on here.

I'm kind of in the same dilema you're in. I'm trying to decide which gear would be best for me. Right now this is my only car so gas mileage is a bit of a concern. I too am debating between 3.73 and 4.10's. I think if I'm going to go ahead and get it done I'm just going to go all the way and get 4.10's. I really don't think it'll take a whole second of ET off though.

If you are in a state that doesn't check emissions, then rip off the cats and put an offroad H or X on. It will make a very noticeable difference in power and sound too of course. I went with the MAC Prochamber (and cat-back) and am a very satisfied custumer.

Users who are viewing this thread