Gearing up for W2W

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
This winter, I've been slowly collecting all the required safety gear in my hopes to eventually run NASA CMC. The season will probably start before I get a car. If that's the case, I'll run the Cobra a while longer on Toyo RRs as it's the required tire for CMC. So a couple questions for the group:

1. Are there any issues with pulling the ABS fuse so I can start to get the feel of running without ABS? Any unintended consequences?

2. Does anyone have any pics of a Mustang, preferably an SN95 on an 18ft open trailer? I'm thinking of picking up an 18" w/dovetail and I'm hoping it'll have a bit of room up front to add a tool box and generator with the winch cable running between them.

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
Nothing wrong with removing the fuse. It acts like as if it doesn't exist, just an ABS light. You are going to also need to unplug the abs control module to be legal in CMC.

I use the exact trailer you are talking about. I put the car back far enough to where I could run a box and winch. I have a winch, but its hand operated lol. Its only for emergency purposes. I'll try to find a picture.

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
th_DSC_0002.jpg

Don't know why its so small, but a good pic nonetheless.

Last edited:

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Nothing wrong with removing the fuse. It acts like as if it doesn't exist, just an ABS light. You are going to also need to unplug the abs control module to be legal in CMC....

To be clear, I won't be running the Cobra in CMC. I'll use the Cobra in HPDE and wanted to use the same tires, brake pads and lack of ABS as preparation for getting a legal CMC car later.

With that clarified, can I just pull the fuse or do I have to unplug the ctrl module too? I'd plan on returning the function of ABS after the last session of the day since I'd still need to drive it home.

That pic is small, but it looks like there's plenty of room. No issues with weight distro with the car that far back?

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
Just pull the fuse, no problems there.

Looks are deceiving. There is enough weight on the tongue. It levels out my f250 and drives and pulls very well with the way it's set up.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
I am not sure I would even pull the fuse. You know when your abs is activated, right?

Last edited:

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Yup...one of the first exercises during a race school I took --- But I very rarely activate ABS when on the track. With that said, I've seen a couple of the new guys flat spot, or nearly so, when they switched over from an ABS car to a sticky-tired racecar that does not allow ABS (as is the class rules for CMC). Just my personal observations.

I'm guessing that developing the feel of threshold braking may be different w/o ABS and may take some getting used to. Instead of that flutter, you end up with some tire smoke and some nice skid marks for your effort...as well as potentially ruining expensive tires.

If I can simulate that on my heavier, slower HPDE car, I could concentrate on all the other things going on for a newbie, i.e. car proximity, altered lines, etc, etc. when I get into a full-on track car. I'd rather learn about the nuiances in HPDE with room to spare than experiencing it for the first time with 3 other cars right next to me.

Throw darts at my thought process.....

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
Yup...one of the first exercises during a race school I took --- But I very rarely activate ABS when on the track. With that said, I've seen a couple of the new guys flat spot, or nearly so, when they switched over from an ABS car to a sticky-tired racecar that does not allow ABS (as is the class rules for CMC). Just my personal observations.

If you rarely activate abs than you are not braking hard enough. You can do threshold with abs, i've done it a few times when i entered a turn a little faster than normal or made a last pass.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Probably not - I have to drive the car home!

About the only time it activates is when I come in too hot but it doesn't happen often - I'm not going for a trophy

It's one of the reasons I'm looking for a track car so I can push my limits a bit more without fear of messing up my well-cared for Cobra.

My question still remains - Will disabling the ABS provide me additional techniques that are directly related to my goal of running CMC in the future? If so, is removing the fuse sufficient?

WPBcobra

Established Member
Removing the fuse should kill the ABS. But the question is the stock proportioning valve going to give you good brake bias.
I am also looking to delete my ABS but i get mixed answers about the stock prop valve. I run AI and right now at 9.25 hp/wt and would like to go to 9.0

wheelhopper

Established Member
Flat spotting a tire usually occurs from the brake bias not being set up correctly. This could be for several reasons. Like the bias adjuster not set properly or incorrect brake compounds. I would not bother trying it with your Cobra. Wait until you have your CMC car on the track and do a couple HPDE events with it.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Hopefully soon. I may take a look at one tomorrow if I get a chance.

Anyone have any info on Hampton's dark blue #36 from Central region? I know it took 1st at Nationals in 2010 but was DQ'd for an incorrect strut tower brace so it seems to be a well sorted, fast car.

Users who are viewing this thread