Gearing

Xenom

Established Member
Does any one know what they put in 95 5.0 for gearing. I am looking at putting 373s in but not sure as of right now. Just wanted to know what what i might have. Had my car out a few days ago and was above 110mph in 3rd... Any ideas maybe 273s?

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
Not sure about a GT, but I know my friend with a 95 Cobra had 3.08's has his stock gears. He swapped to 4.10's and damn, did that thing wake up.

Xenom

Established Member
LOL well I think I might just buy a hole new rear end I found out today that my car is a one wheel wonder... Left a 75ft black mark, sadly it started off posi for all of 10ft then dropped off to passenger side.

All I want to do is be able to run my car thought the gears, and maybe be able to smoke them through 3ed. My buddy has 373 in his 95 and it is kinda scary to drive(ALL THE BETTER!)

spike_africa

Established Member
You dont need to buy a new rear end you need to get the posi rebuilt which is very cheap. 40-45bucks for a clutch pack rebuild kit for the posi and then labor should be very cheap on that if you dont want to do it. This is when you get those gears installed too.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
spike_africa said:
You dont need to buy a new rear end you need to get the posi rebuilt which is very cheap. 40-45bucks for a clutch pack rebuild kit for the posi and then labor should be very cheap on that if you dont want to do it. This is when you get those gears installed too.

mineralgrey01gt said:
it probably has a limited slip differential

+1 I think you can use a Terminator clutch pack for a few $$$ more.

spike_africa

Established Member
You can as there kevlar and not organic so there sopposed to last longer and grab harder, but i would just toss in 2 extra clutch instead of paying $100 vs a $40 one.

Xenom

Established Member
mineralgrey01gt said:
sounds like 3.27's, mine will redline a hair above 110mph in 3rd

Did some research and found out that they are 273's, my car will do a little more than 115 in 3ed. Have not had it much above there I need to go though and replace almost all my suspension. My car has 173k on it with stock suspension.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
3.73s. 4.10s is too much if you plan on modding the motor much. I can turn myn higher than yours and with 3.73s it's perfect with the h/c/i. I run out 4th at around 110-120 (speedo off some.) If I went with even more power later on, I would definetly gear the car back numerically lower some, as it would be too much, and I would like some more top end if I needed it.

danny974.6

Established Member
wow guys i just put 4.10s in my mustang gt 97 best upgrade ever i cant wait to spray on it ... try 410s you will like it

Nutfield

Fear Not - Genesis 15:1
Established Member
Xenom said:
Does any one know what they put in 95 5.0 for gearing. I am looking at putting 373s in but not sure as of right now. Just wanted to know what what i might have. Had my car out a few days ago and was above 110mph in 3rd... Any ideas maybe 273s?
History lesson:
This was true for 1990, I'm not sure if the '94-'95 5.0s were the same. 2.73:1 was the standard gear ratio. 3.08:1 was a 'secret', no-cost option on the build sheet. I made sure that the dealer designated the 3.08 while I watched him fill out the build sheet when i ordered my car in January 1990. A year or two later, I had 3.73s installed.:burnout:

Old school rule of thumb for 5.0s:
Use 3.73:1 with 5 speed. Use 4.10:1 with AOD.

Users who are viewing this thread