Gears near Santa Barbara?

SB Lightning

Young Buck
Established Member
I think I might get gears but im still debating. Does any one know of any places in/near SB that installs them? and how much it would run me?

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Misfitflesh said:
985 pluys tax, let me know if you want a break down of everything as far as parts and labor.
that is ridiculous to install gears. It should cost no more than $400 including the gears, friction modifier and oil.

Misfitflesh

Established Member
I understand its quiet a bit but its not ridiculous. And 400 including the gears? thats pretty ridiculous. Does that shop just slap them in the diff with all the old bearings and without setting them up properly? If he wants to locate all the parts cheaper then we'll get them thats fine, but we kinda have to make something on parts, thats how business stays a float. But It would still be about 4 hours labor which would be a few hundred bucks.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
the gears only cost $200 retail...fluid is $20. Figure 3 hours of labor at $60/hr. My math adds up to $400.

I did my own gears in an IRS (read, the entire pumpkin needs to come out), including having the bearing pressed on/off it took us 3 hours on the garage floor.

Last edited:

Misfitflesh

Established Member
Like i said if he wants to get the parts himself he can. Its going to be about 350 bucks with the bearing kit, oil, and ford gears by the time he orders them. My boss was just trying to make some money on parts seeing as we would warranty the parts and labor. If he gets the parts himself then theres no warranty. Get why its more? Figure about $320 labor. We arent trying to rip him off or anything thats just how legit business is done.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
dgussin1 said:
that is ridiculous to install gears. It should cost no more than $400 including the gears, friction modifier and oil.

$900 is a bit steep! $500-600 is a good deal on a gear install (parts included). Unless you want them to howl like the wind...

Misfitflesh

Established Member
I agree on cost being around $600, but its not my call as im not the owner of the shop. Plus we dont do a lot of rear end work like some other places so we dont get much of a discount on parts. Now if we were talking transmissions, thats a different story.

SB Lightning

Young Buck
Established Member
Holy chit. I might as well sell my left testicle to get them installed. lol.

Well what parts would I need other than the gears to just buy it all then take it somewhere?

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
SB Lightning said:

Well what parts would I need other than the gears to just buy it all then take it somewhere?

most shops wont warranty the work inless you buy the stuff from them...
seriously Call Mark at coast driveline in Ventura he is the best in the area and the customer service is second to none.

Tom

Misfitflesh

Established Member
SB Lightning said:

Bearing kit, (if you wanna replace the pinion and carrier bearings) and which ever fluid you prefer.

SB Lightning

Young Buck
Established Member
I called Mark and his closest opening is September 12 right after school starts. He also told me that they've been having a lot of problems with 4.10s in mustangs and told me to go with a 3.73. He said it would wake it up a lot so I may consider doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread