Gears

mystangs

572/677 Hehe
Established Member
Has anyone put 4.10's in their car? I have read everything on here about it but I was wondering if any of you guys have done it, what you are taching at at the end of the 1/4 etc..

I am thinking about doing but need some input.

Thanks,

Chris

TRBO VNM

mystangs said:
Has anyone put 4.10's in their car? I have read everything on here about it but I was wondering if any of you guys have done it, what you are taching at at the end of the 1/4 etc..

I am thinking about doing but need some input.

Thanks,

Chris

I wouldn't go that high. I haven't personally put gears in, nor have I had any put in my car. most I talk to say not to go 4.10

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
i had 4.10's in my car at one point before the KB and before I built my solid rear. But i stepped down to 3.73's when I built my solid rear....it's the best gear for this car IMHO.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Chris, there was a poll about this awhile back and got some real good response. May want to see if you can scrounge it up with a search. If I remember correctly, a ton of guys that did the 4.10's loved it! Lots of torque multiplication, great SOTP, but it seems a lot of them were running solid rears too. I'm with Prasad and Jason on this one.....think it's a bit much with our aspirated application, makes it even harder to get traction, and most end up going with a taller slick which brings the effective gear ratio back down anyway.......

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Chris, I'm in no way an expert on the topic of gears but I have to agree with the others here that say 4.10's may be too much for our cars. Since my latest mods, esp. the cams, I've been doing some research on gears and if I do the swap, I've decided on 3.90's, mainly because I'm not convinced the 3.73's will make enough difference to justify doing the swap. Johnny and I are doing some more testing on my car tomorrow which should help in making the decision, of course I want to run the car a few times down the track to see where I am with my current set-up first.

Where do you normally shift your car at the track? Where does your power start to level out with your set-up? Most stock long block eaton cars are around 6k. With gears 3.90+ and stock height rear tires, you will most likely run out of 4th gear on the top end. What size tire do you plan on running out back?

mystangs

572/677 Hehe
Established Member
Thanks for all the responses, I usually shift around 6000 at the track. I have thought of the 3.90's I have had 4.10's in past cars and loved them but have been thinking that it maybe too much for the Cobra. I do agree I don't think that the 3.73's are going to make that much of a difference.

Plan on running BFG drag radials out back at the track, 275/40/17 I think. Guess I got some thinking and searching to do.

Thanks guys

Users who are viewing this thread