Gears

Roush150

New SVT *****
Established Member
Hello all...I've got a question about checking the gears on my Lightning. I just bought it about 2 weeks ago and the only mod that I know its got is 4# lower, sct, and other minor mods. Is there a way I can check if its got gears without taking off the diff cover? The speedo is off thats what brought the question up.

Last edited:

simshahh

Party2Go
Established Member
Also check your tire rotations/mile. I think stock is 733 r/m. And make sure you have the right size stock tires on there. 295/45's.

Roush150

New SVT *****
Established Member
Thanks for the reply sim but thats not the question. :) I know what gears they're suppose to come with my problem is trying to figure out if mine has aftermarket gears. I'm running the 295/45 F1's

simshahh

Party2Go
Established Member
Thanks for the reply sim but thats not the question. :) I know what gears they're suppose to come with my problem is trying to figure out if mine has aftermarket gears. I'm running the 295/45 F1's
If there is a way to do it without taking off the cover, Ill be damned. Fade knows everything. When he comes in here eventually, he will just tell you what you have. Other than that, good luck!

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
I have 3.73's and at 60mph im at about 1900 RPMs. If you are noticably higher then that, rpm wise, then you have 4.10 gears

castellscl

Established Member
Last edited:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Jack up the rear end in neutral. Rotate the tire 1 revolution and estimate how many revolutions the driveshaft makes. The ratio of those two numbers will give you the gear ratio. It isn't extremely accurate but it should be able to get you close enough to guess which you have.

Edit: Not sure how the diff is going to act so you may have to hold the other tire stationary or rotate them together.

Users who are viewing this thread