Gears

Tony_Montana87

BANNED!
I hear alot of people talking about getting gears, what dose that mean? do you just buy the lil round things are those gears?

Or is it a programable thing or what is it and what do they do.

So far ive herd of 4.10,4.30 3.10 and soem other ones. do they have 5.0?6.00? how much power can be added by these gears are there any pics of the gears? where can i get them done and how much do they cost and do they void our warranty?

lol im kinda of a noob here so um to beat me down. :bash:

:read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :nono:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Gears specifically refer to the gearing of the rear differential. The higher the gearing ratio eg: 2.73:1 vs 3.73:1 the torque you can put to the ground and the better the vehicle will launch. But this is if you can put the torque to the ground.

Here is a good example I found:

A 1978 Firebird with -the standard 400 (non T/A 6.6) engine originally equipped with 2.41:1 gears. With this combination the torque peak occurs at about 52 mph and the horsepower peak occurs at about 118 mph. The same car with 3.73:1 gears reaches the torque peak at about 34 mph and the horsepower peaks at about 76 mph. The 3.73 gears convert this car from a "Freeway Cruiser" into a "Surface Street Stomper" that would have tremendous response at around town speeds and would probably get the best fuel economy at city speeds of 30-40 mph.

Tony_Montana87

BANNED!
So the lower the Peak torque is the better? what if it is too low and after the peak is all down hill.

How much dose getting the gears cost? what are some of the big company names that change these gears or can i go to my dealer and have them hange it?

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
Gears run about $180 from a manufacturer (FRPP, FMS, Richmond, among others) The bitch part is the install. Some shops will charge you about $400 for the install. Cheap thing to do is find someone local who can do it in there garage, which could cost you about $150-200, depending on the person. Im sure a dealer would change gears, but the price would be unbearable. Any high performance shops can do it.

03DOHC

Established Member
I would probably do 4.30's in the Mach 1 and the older Cobras and stay with the stock gears for the 03 Cobra.

98gtstang

www.snma.net
Established Member
Since you guys are talking about gears what whould you recommend for a 98GT? About 50% of the people I have asked said go with 3.73 and the other 50% said go with 4.10:shrug: So if you guys could help me out on this decision it would be great. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread