Generator for the Home...

03 red vert

As the basement is 90% finished, I am looking to buy either a portable or permanently installed generator (LP or natural gas) for the house - this will compliment the backup sump pump.

Greatly appreciate a little direction / advice on both types of generators.

What's good?
What to stay away from?
What capacity is your generator?

Thanks

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I have 25 KW propane generator system. It will run my house and main central air unit. I have a 1000 gal tank too.

Coiled03

Established Member
Blood on Blood said:
As the basement is 90% finished, I am looking to buy either a portable or permanently installed generator (LP or natural gas) for the house - this will compliment the backup sump pump.

Greatly appreciate a little direction / advice on both types of generators.

What's good?
What to stay away from?
What capacity is your generator?

Thanks

That's a great idea - especially since I'm now having to REfinish my basement due to a failed sump pump. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

dbmach12004

SuperStar
Established Member
The only companies that I would use is Kohler and Generac, both have great generators. The only difference is that Kohler uses a GM V6 on all of its models under 45kw and Generac uses a Ford 4 cylinder engine. The Kohler is going to be a little more expensive (about 5-6K) but operate a lower RPM so you wont have to worry about bothering the neighbors, plus they all come with the sound attenuated enclosure.
Do you have natural gas in the area??? If you have that option and can afford the extra cost of fuel I would go that route because of the endless supply of fuel. If not I would suggest a diesel because of its easily readily fuel supply, the cost of this system is about 40% more but its operational cost is substantially less and it has twice the life span between engine rebuilds.
The last route I would take would be the LP system because of the complication that can come from finding fuel delivery in a disaster and the extra cost of having a tank buried in your yard.... I live in south Florida so that is a pretty big issue down here.
I hope I could have been some help but there is just so many pro's and con's to each system. I would suggest that you do your homework and check and recheck the company that you plan on getting the installation done by, AND ALWAYS CALL PREVIOUS CUSTOMERS TO SEE HOW THE INSTALL WENT
(I can not stress to you how important those calls are)
I have had the unfortunate luck of working for a generator company that didn’t deliver on its promises
Anyway good luck on the search, if you have anymore questions that you thing I could help you with shoot me a PM

Ltd10th03cobra

3.4 Whipple Crusher 22psi
Established Member
When I ever get a house, I was thinking of getting a Guardian generator setup. They sell them at home depot I think. $3k-5k. They have different setups such as propane or kerosene

Last edited:

dbmach12004

SuperStar
Established Member
If you go through Home Depot just be aware that they contract out the installation and ususally charge a bit more than if you go through a generator specific company.

03 red vert

Thanks for the information... I am now gearing towards a portable generator. Though a permanent is nice, I have to be realistic in price.

I noticed engines in portable units are Subaru, Honda, Yamaha and Briggs & Straton. I have researched the first three and have read good reviews. Good/bad reviews on the Briggs/Straton...

Your thoughts on good or bad portable brand generators/engines.

03 red vert

No, just the main accessories during a power outage:

Sump pump (I am installing a backup system too)
Furnace fan
Refrigerator
some lights

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Also remember to factor in an automatic transfer switch. We had to purchase one (manual at that) and have it installed at work. It is to isolate your generator from the power company's system. I do not know if the newer generators have them built in or not.

wally9404

Established Member
i just sold a 5500watt generator,bought it last summer when the storm knocked out the electric for six days.it ran twelve hours on five gallons of gas. it was noisy as hell!i bought it at lowe's for 725.00. i would go with the one that run on anything other than gas.

Gixx1300R

Established Member
Get a low noise Generator. I have a Honda tri fuel. It can run off of Gasoline,LP or Propane. It is very quiet. If you stand 80-100 feet away you cant hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread