German Castrol (GC) ?

1BDSNK

Established Member
I've seen several memebers on this board mention using German Castrol (GC), is this the same thing as Castrol SLX?

Thanks

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
hmm, there has been some speculation about this.

If SLX meets API Service SL/CF, BMW longlife-01, ACEA: A3/B3 B4, MB 229.1, 229.3, 229.5, VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01, and Porsche approval, then Id say its probably very similar.

The folks over at bobistheoilguy.com will have the answer.

1BDSNK

Established Member
Thanks for the response. I was wondering about this. Also been thinking of running this in my Cobra.

The SLX is actually rated for VW505.01

Earlier this year my wife purchased a 2006 VW Jetta TDI and when the time came for the first oil change I went looking for this 505.01 spec and nothing on the shelf locally met this spec. RP & Amsoil only met 503.00.

Checked most of the major oil company web sites and none of them have an oil in the US that meets this spec.

Only a few places on the web and VW dealerships have an oil that meets this spec and it's Castrol SLX. The cost from the dearlership isn't too bad if you buy it by the case.

VW has had this spec since 2003, you'd think more Oil manufactures would have come out with an oil for this spec by now.

Apparently, VW changed the pump design in the TDI back in 2003 and now the frictional forces in this new pump design are measured in the thousands of PSI and so now, need an oil rated to handle this.

Just put 5K on the last oil change and plan to send a sample to Blackstone labs. We'll see how well it performed.

Thanks

etfhb

Established Member
They are different. GC is made in Germany and only comes in 0w-30. It is a group 4 oil, not a synthetic blend.

1BDSNK

Established Member
Okay, I guess there is a difference. I've only ever seen the SLX in 5w-30. This stuff is suppose to be a very good oil. Now that you mention it, it doesn't say fully synthetic on the lable, so it might be a blend. The lable reads SLX Professional OE

I don't believe I've ever seen German Castro, does it say German Castrol on the lable. If anyone has a bottle handy, take a look and see if it list the VW 505.01 standard. If it does, and I can find this locally, it maybe another source of oil for the car.

Thanks

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
GC_M06152_Front.jpg

GC_M06152_Rear.jpg

01cobravortech will probably chime in. He knows a lot about it.

I'll have to defer to QuadCammer since he's the one that got me using this oil. I will say that my Blackstone oil analysis with the German Castrol were slightly better than that with Mobil 1. My motor is in great shape and the guys at Blackstone have identified that the GC can be run in my motor for 6000-7000 miles.

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
I'll have to defer to QuadCammer since he's the one that got me using this oil. I will say that my Blackstone oil analysis with the German Castrol were slightly better than that with Mobil 1. My motor is in great shape and the guys at Blackstone have identified that the GC can be run in my motor for 6000-7000 miles.

Are you running the 0w-30?

1BDSNK

Established Member
The Castrol SLX appears to be pretty good oil.

I actually ended up putting 9K miles on this oil before changing and sending a sample to the lab. Blackstone suggested going 10K next time!

Granted, this wasn’t from V8. The oil sample was from my wife’s VW TDI 1.9L Turbo Diesel. By the way, this TDI is getting nearly 50 MPG and it doesn’t seem to matter what type of driving condition either, it’s always right around 50 MPG.

I’m planning to try this SLX oil in my Cobra next summer when I take it out of winter storage. The cost isn’t all that bad, last time I purchased it from the VW dealership by the case (six pack) and it came out to be $5.73 per quart.

VirtualSVT, thanks for posting the pics it is appreciated. Guess I haven’t looked close enough at the labels when I’ve been shopping at the auto parts stores.

If anyone is interested I can try and post up the lab report from Blackstone if you feel there is any relevance.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread