German/ European cars

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
I was heavily considering a V8 M3 for my wife. I know each car has its issues and could understand the throttle actuators and some pesky parts, but I drew the line when I found out the rod bearings are a common point of failure. Too tight of clearance mixed with 10w60 oil may be the issue, but I think BMW should have certainly figured that out before production (with their reputation). On one hand I’m tempted to pick one up cheap and swap the bearings by dropping the k member and oil pan, but then I’m left worried about other “german car expenses.”

Any opinions on the matter from those owning BMW or Mercedes is welcome!

For now:

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Recon

Established Member
As from someone that works on them on a daily basis. I tell people to either own them under warranty then sell them immediately when it runs out. Or if you have deep pockets and don’t mind the often repairs buy used. They’ve become incredibly fragile and delicate compared to what they were in the 80’s. Some of them if you don’t put a keep alive memory system on them while changing the battery out they’ll forget how to run. Then most of them you have to marry the battery to the car. But they drive very nice and the quality of the interior is excellent.

Pick your poison.

Saleen498

Established Member
Great cars with a warranty
I second that, we got the girl a '15 535i m sport x drive, it's a beautiful car and the build quality is nothing short of fantastic, however anytime she makes a "found on road dead" joke around mechanic friends or tow truck drivers they all tell her that high mileage BMW's are one of the most frequent visitors on the flatbed. Don't judge her guys, she was raised in a GM family.

Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Coiled03

Established Member
I've actually considered leasing a Euro performance sedan. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Edit: BTW....why the hell is this in pics and vids?

Edit 2: Nevermind, I'm blind.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Certain BMW's I would never own outside of the warranty. X5M, X6M, M5 V10, etc.

It is hard to believe that a manufacturer like BMW still is having problems like that in this day and age. I wouldn't mind a v8 M3 but because of the rod bearing issues, I'll probably buy another 335i or is. The N54 is a bulletproof engine once it's little quirks are ironed out.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Recon is dead in about BMW. He knows his Euro cars. Despite the expensive nature of maintaining a BMW, I love the things.

BMW really is a driver's car. Even the most refined 4 door boat has a sports car feel. The cars hug the road, and they have plenty of toque and power if you have a straight 6 or V8.

I have a special affection for the M6, older M3, Z4, and Z3. Amazing cars.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Don't own a V8 bmw out of warranty pretty much. I was really looking at E90 M3's before getting my S550 but the rod bearing thing drove me away. From what I read BMW had a revised rod bearing by 2011 but the 11-13 cars were out of my budget.

Granted, one could use the logic of "most of the cars that were going to blow up, already did" since the 08-10's are so old by now, but I didn't want to chance it.

I did end up test driving a 08 e90 m3 6spd after buying my S550, I don't know if I could have lived with the ancient idrive and it didn't really give me "the fizz" I thought I'd get. I liked it, I still like them in general, I didn't love it.

The straight 6 cars are generally reliable, my mother has a 2015 X5 with the N55 and it's only been in at the dealer for oil changes. Hell my fathers coyote 16 f150 and my mustang have been back for legitimate issues but the X5 is still fine.

I still hope to add a e39 m5 to my fleet one day, although that is becoming more unlikely as the prices on them skyrocket.

I enjoy driving my grey market import shitter, needs a lot of work but it offers a very different driving feel to any of my fords. I never really understood the whole "mechanical feeling, connected to the road" thing people with e30's and miata's would go on and on about until I threw a 5spd in this. It really is a reminder that at one point, no matter what class of vehicle it was, BMW really did build the ultimate driving machine.

now they build the ultimate leasing machine

DSC_8426-XL.jpg

_Snake_

Established Member
I've actually considered leasing a Euro performance sedan. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Edit: BTW....why the hell is this in pics and vids?

Edit 2: Nevermind, I'm blind.

I own a 2011 Audi S4 and am seriously considering leasing a 2018 RS5 when they’re available. A lease is a great idea for a Euro car.

Stateguy

Established Member
Every time I hear a m5 or m6 v10 I look for used ones then read horror stories on maintenance cost. German engineering

The Lexus Isf is starting to look good.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Recon

Established Member
Every time I hear a m5 or m6 v10 I look for used ones then read horror stories on maintenance cost. German engineering

The Lexus Isf is starting to look good.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

I understand where you’re coming from. I’m a sucker for a V10. We had an 08 M6 at the shop a few years ago. That thing sounded amazing, and it was a stick. It was a really nice looking car, but had some issues. But $400 for a battery and $150 for just the oil no thanks.
Now that is a brand I can get behind. We just bought a GS350 F Sport last week. It’s a fun little car with just 311hp.
Edit: 306hp for the 14 MY, 16 has 311hp

Pick your poison.

Last edited:

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Once you go German its hard to go back, having owned porsche,bmw, merc and audi's. I like the BMW's I had but the M cars do ride very rough. While I like Merc's and miss both the c63 and c63's I've owned I still fall back to Audi's which are my favorite. Currently own an rs3 and rs7. Eventually I'll get the svt (yeah I know that's funny) Shelby gt500 if they do it right.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
i grew up with a father that was a BIG BMW and Porsche guy. therefore i share that love of german cars. but after two M3s I'm on my first Mercedes and i adore it. its a better car then BMWs of the era. built better, quieter and to me a flat out better car.

outside of personal preferences with styling and trans choices, i say stay away from any BMW made after 2003. that was the end of the era of good cars from BMW from my perspective. my little brother is a big M5 guy, he currently owns a 03 M5 and its a nice car, but being frank my benz is the far nicer car, and the faster car unless any type of turn is involved lol.

do you research, there are streaks of years where almost ever euro brand made a great car and streaks of crap. there is a reason i chose an E55 over any M156(63 designation) Mercedes. just as there is a reason my brother owns a E39 M5 and not a E60 or F10 when we can certainly afford to own a new generation car.

NOTHING drives like an european car, they drive better it just is what it is. my Fords and my Jeep is not as "nice" but i also NEVER think about what i might need to be replacing soon on them either. european cars are like hot high maintenance women, and your American cars cars the decent looking chick at work. one will make you walk funny after a night and look great on your arm, all your buddies will congratulate you on how hot she is....but she don't cook, is mean to your mom and has an attitude half the time. the other has dinner ready when you get home each night, but won't wear makeup and shops at walmart all the time. point being the perfect women doesn't exist. my solution own both.

_Snake_

Established Member
Once you go German its hard to go back, having owned porsche,bmw, merc and audi's. I like the BMW's I had but the M cars do ride very rough. While I like Merc's and miss both the c63 and c63's I've owned I still fall back to Audi's which are my favorite. Currently own an rs3 and rs7. Eventually I'll get the svt (yeah I know that's funny) Shelby gt500 if they do it right.

Nice stable. There was a tune only RS7 running consistent 10.2’s at the track last weekend. Still one of my favorite cars out there.

Badass_Forever

Established Member
I've had 3 bmw's, 2008 745Li, 2005 325xi and currently a 2013 335 with a tune and exhaust. I don't know why everyone is complaining, all three cars have been nothing but amazing. $150 oil changes? you need to find better places to take your cars. $400 battery? the 745 had the biggest car battery i have ever seen and it was $230.

The 745 had a ton of oil leaks that had to be fixed, but so be it. 2 nights in the garage and it was done, including the oil seal at the alternator.

I biggest problem is, only now are north american cars finally starting to catch up to the euro cars, My 325 was as well or even better equipped than my mothers 2011 escalade.

Don't think i'm hating, I current own a mustang, lightning, marauder, bmw 335i and a silverado.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I had a e46 M3 I bought new back in 04. It was the most fun to drive car I’ve ever owned. But I had lots of issues with it. There is no way I would own one without a warranty.
My father has owned everything from a 1 series to the 7 series. He is a total BMW guy. When they get close to being out of warranty, he trades them and gets a new one. It’s part of way most German cars have terrible resale value when they are outside the warranty.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
My wife put 100k on her 2009 C300 Merdeces, and it was never in the shop for anything other than routine maintenance.

Never_Enough

Established Member
My E90 335xi was a fun car to drive. Temping to grab another, with what they sell for now, if the MS6 sells for what I want, but I doubt I'd do it due to maintenance cost unless I found one well sorted with everything already taken care of.

Users who are viewing this thread