Getting a 99 in a few days.

good4me

Established Member
Finally, after months of searching, i have finally located and am getting a 99 cobra.

although it wasnt the year i wanted, after doing some research i figured i could get a low milage in decent shape cobra cheaper than an 01 or deffinatly an 03 and spend less money on it and make it to the car i want with out breaking the bank. I figure i spend less on the car upfront, save some money then mod it to my desire.

The car i found is in excellent shape, the interior is mint,(backseat doesnt even look like it was sat in) and everything mechanical is sound.

Its a black coupe with tan interior that has had the fix. I drove the car a couple of times and it shifts great, tracks fine and has a lot more get up and go than my 91 gt. Its got 47xxx miles on it and only a 1000 on it since january.

I know im going to be very happy with the car because with everything thats right with it, i feel im getting a better deal than laying out more money.

Now alls i have to do is sell my 91.

So for starters, what would be a good place to start for mods?

im thinking CAI, headers and exhaust, underdrive pullies and ecu reprogram.

what are your reccomondations for brands for these mods and what else would you suggest?

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
Those mods will work great. I went with jba shorties but wished I had went with mid or full lengths instead. any x-pipe. 4:10's will wake up your new cobra. Once you put those in you will smoke any SS, T/A

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
btw don't listen to this tosser talking about smoking ls1 SS and T/A with just and X and 4.10s. i got walked pretty bad by a stock SS when i had a cai/4.30s/ and an h pip

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
Also I put magnaflows on and I was not very happy just happy enough to have something to listen to other than the stock(family sedan)sound. So I bought MAC mufflers and they really woke it up and everyone else in the neighborhood. When you see a mustang that has an awesome sound ask what they got so you can get an idea what sound your looking for,No they all dont sound the same. Once your done with the exhaust, put in gears, then go to the motor. Underdrive pullies, CAI, TB(they have 62mm and 65mm make sure you get the 65mm) Mass air.

Once thats is all done work into the motor or supercharge it. Put in a cam and Port and polish the heads,intake,and throttle body.There are alot of great superchargers out there but it will cost you about 2 grand more(included the install) than you would port and polish and you would get about the same results plus it will be all motor.

You can either get a chip before the port and polish but once you get the port and polish you will need to reprogram the chip.

Quadcammer

Established Member
headers are gonna add maybe 10rwhp. my 4.30s would make up that difference. and yes the SS was dead nuts stock.

as for your other post, its been proven that Throttle Bodies do very little for hp.

putting in 1 cam out of 4 may not get the job done. porting and polishing of the heads and intake are fantastic ideas. I don't there is much porting to be done on the TB.

ported heads/cams and all the bolt ons may get you to 360rwhp.

A blower, even a small one like an E trim, can make 420rwhp on a stock 99 cobra with only 8 psi.

the e trim kit runs about 4500 bux for everything with install.

ported heads=1000, cams =1000, labor=1000, and then all the bolt ons.

here is a quick answer if you got some cash to spend.

Novi 1000 blower kit=3500
Mac h pipe=120
tune, gauges and 03 cobra pump and tank=1200

make 450rwhp.

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
10rwhp is a big good differance especially when there almost identical in horsepower stock. Please, put in those mods against a bone stock ss, AND I WILL EAT ITS LUNCH

Quadcammer

Established Member
haha you are hysterical. considering newer ls1s dyno in the 310 to 320rwhp range and 99 cobras dyno about 270. they also weigh about the same.

add the headers/h pipe and 4.10s and you will probably dyno around 290rwhp. thats a far cry from 320rwhp. not to mention ls1's being the bigger motor offer a much flatter torque curve with more peak torque.

i think with the mentioned mods, it will be a close race, but you certainly will not be eating anybodies lunch.

good4me

Established Member
@%@$#%#%$#%&$#%$#^%$#&*%*#&

GOD_D*m motherfin SOB sold the car out from under me and didnt even have the courtsey to ask me if i still wanted the car.

Things were left the other day that thursday we would get the finacials taken care of ie: cut the check and we would be on our merry way.

well i called him today to set up a time and he said he sold the car. he says that i didnt tell him about thursday and that he had someone else interested and sold it to him. i told him a little courtsey would have been to call me to see if i was still interested in buying. fu*king prick.

so now i dont have a car to purchase and im back on the hunt.

anyone know of a low mileage coba in the tampa bay area for sale?

mike01svt

Established Member
just an fyi.. these cars are beasts with blowers...

9psi on a s-trim with cobra impeller, and powerpipe with a catback and exhaust.. making 480/412

Users who are viewing this thread