Getting Layed.........................................OFF! !!!!

Sea Pony

Workin'! Woot!
Established Member
As in "turn in your stuff and don't bother showing up tomorrow" :burn: . April 3rd was my last day and I am still really struggling with it.

I kind of saw it coming. Revenue was way down last year, and they started hiring heavy hitters recently. No room for a guy with a measly 7 years of experience! :dw: :cuss:

We have been saving a lot lately and have no credit card debt, so I think we are in better shape than many. We should be able to get through 4-5 months before I start filling out applications at McDonalds:fm:.

Since the beginning of the year, I have really been putting some thought into starting my own business, supply chain consulting in the automotive aftermarket. That thought has so far consisted of a lot of research and risk assessment, trying to narrow down what the "right" customers look like from a revenue perspective.

What are the rest of you doing to find work?

Anyone need a good supply chain resource and closet Motor Head?

CSD

Banned
Keep your head up, it seems you're ahead of the game with money saved and no cc debt. Smart man! Have you filed for unemployment benefits?

Fastboy

Established Member
Sea Pony- I am in the same boat as you are, I am just waiting on my passport and I am starting my own trading business in electronics overseas. I already have people who want the products I will offer. The Chinese will make aftermarket parts and are not new to it. I have a gentleman once he graduates law school wants to start making performance parts.

Eds01Lightning

Established Member
There is never a GOOD time to start a business! You just have to jump in if you have a strong desire and don't mind HARD work!

I started a new business in 1977 when the economy wasn't all that great. Have been self employed ever since and have built several business' over the last 30+ years...all successful..and allot of hard work! Now, semi-retired and enjoying life at 63!

My advise..do it!!:beer:

blwn306

Established Member
sux bro but hey things happen for a reason..I got layed off and started my own cell phone biz been open a few months and am making some good money..company is debt free so far..got a great deal on a new space for lease, now is the best time to start up...alot of business are folding, but alot are popping up. Just keep your head up and work hard!!!

DaJoker

Never Serious...Seriously
Established Member
Sorry to hear. My company is cutting days to save money now, I can see the end of the line coming. Paid off all c/c's and 2 of my cars, just keep plugging till the axe drops. Looking at starting my own business because I'm 40 now and won't find other jobs making my salary. Good luck OP.

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
im always planning for the worst. luckily ive been at my job for almost 13 yrs. UI was extended for over a yr i just heard so if you have to ride that out.

Fastboy

Established Member
Guys: I agree with you all and I think two reasons are important to understand

1) If you own your own business its much harder to fire yourself then someone else

2) I believe there is no reason to be believe that there won't be another global financial crisis.

Sea Pony

Workin'! Woot!
Established Member
My problem is, I don't like placing a bet unless I have an ace in the hole.

2nd problem; the number 1 reason "start up" businesses fail...undercapitalization.

I could be stingy and make it work for half a year, or blow it all in two months before I break even. Too much at stake at the moment, but it is definately appealling to me more.

todd4566

Man Of Steel
Established Member
.. everything happens for a reason

Yeah, everything happens for a reason.. a bad economy is the reason for all of these layoffs.. I prefer the 'feel good' quote "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." On that note, I was also laid off 1 week ago yesterday, and though I occasionally feel a little down about it the free time I've had has actually turned out to be a wonderful thing. File for unemployment benefits ASAP, and get to work on that resume if you haven't already. Good luck out there! :beer:

juliet2kg

Established Member
Yea there are still some jobs out there.... probably not the salary you're looking for though. I haven't had one since Aug, just got a call back yesterday. Also got hired on a sub basis somewhere else. I thought I'd never get a job but in this economy I guess 9 months isn't too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread