Getting new heads - engine apart

GodStang

Established Member
Got them from Steve on this site his screen name I think is FORDSVTPARTS. Really nice guy.

imswheel

Quality SVT Poster
Established Member
Before you put them on have a machine shop that you trust knock off all of the sharp corners in the cumbusion chamber and also knock the edge off of the intake runners.

You can do this yourself with a simple pocket knife if you are brave enough. All you want to do is barely round off the razor sharp edges.

I did this on mine and it took less than an hour to do both heads.

I also put the new intake gaskets on the heads and rounded the sharp edges back to match the gasket opening.

Blow them out real good when finished!

I was very disapointed that the new heads did not have more metal cast around the valve guides. You wonder what Ford must be thinking about at times!

- Paul

V8Mustang

Established Member
GodStang said:
I have 21K miles left on factory warranty and 59K miles left on extended warranty and they still will would now cover it. I ended up going back and working on the engine some more so I took more pics:

No offense to you but, WHAT GOOD IS THE WARRANTY IF THEY WILL NOT COVER PROBLEMS?

I hope Ford fired who was ever responsible for allowing only 4 spark plug threads. I wonder how much money and grief that caused both Ford and their customers.

Actually Ford has been doing stupid things like this for years and they probably promoted the guy because it saved money due to less machining. The '99 (maybe more years) 4.6 GTs had 3-4 threads and some owners had plugs blow out of the head while driving. Did they fix the problem when they noticed it? Of course not. See, they determined that most cars will have the problem after the warranty expires, so why bother making the improvement.

Just like their method they took with the SOHC V-6 engines used in ~96-01 Exploders. They had problems with the timing chain tensioner, and they knew this early on, but did they correct the design flaw? No way, that would take some effort. I know, my wife had a '98 Exploder with a crappy engine that we ended up selling after they could not fix it. Then, we bought a 2000 with the same engine and same problem (I was dumb enough to let the salesman tell me the problem had been fixed). That one went in for repair three times, then got a reman engine at about 20K which also had the same prob after a few thousand miles.

THE ONLY WAY I THINK FORD WILL DO ANYTHING IS IF WE ALL GET TOGETHER AND TRY TO SUE THEM. Even this may fail due to limited production numbers.

03RedCobra

Established Member
SlowSVT said:
I hope Ford fired who was ever responsible for allowing only 4 spark plug threads. I wonder how much money and grief that caused both Ford and their customers. [UOTE]

Well, it hasn't cost any money nor grief for FORD !! Only the customer is feeling that !!!

As far as I know, FORD is not going to replace the heads on the car because there are only 4 threads rather than 9. Those of us with the lesser threaded heads just have to suffer, or pay some money out of pocket. By the way.....I had an SVT Tech verify that my car had the "tick", and it's even written on the work-order, But, Ford told them to do nothing until a "fix" is in. I guess I'm screwed.

Users who are viewing this thread