Getting rims widened?

Kirko

Established Member
I want to keep the stock factory look as much as possible. However, I hate that the rear wheels are not wide! Looks so bad to me.

Since they don't sell a wider replica wheel of the 99/01 Cobra Rims I was thinking about getting the rear ones widened. Has anyone every got this done before? I don't know if they will have balancing issues with it or not. I don't want 20 little weights on my rim to try and balance it out then go 70mph cruising on the highway and get vibration.

Also if I get it widened. How wide should I go and size tire/DR can I put on without it rubbing at all driving. I don't want to roll my fenders at all either. EDIT: Just thought about this. I also don't want it rubbing on the Panhard Bar(Don't think it has that since IRS; If someone could chime in on that for me) during launches.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
You can get them widened, but it's not cheap at all. I want to say it was close to $200 a rim when I called and asked about it. Plus shipping if the place doing it isn't close to you.

Kirko

Established Member
You can get them widened, but it's not cheap at all. I want to say it was close to $200 a rim when I called and asked about it. Plus shipping if the place doing it isn't close to you.

$400 for both rear rims plus shipping then two tires is still cheaper than buying a whole new set for at least $200-$600 each rim depending on what I get then 4 tires at like $200 a tire.

Plus the stock rims look fine. I could get me some new slotted rotors with the money I would be saving buying all new rims and tires and really set the car off look wise with the chrome stock rims.

Last edited:

01vert

Established Member
Weldcraft wheels does this. Remember though, that all the space is added to the back of the wheel so a space is mandatory or they stick too far into the wheelwell.

scotts99snake

Established Member
When companies widen wheels it is, 99% of the time, done on the inside of the wheel. You will not have to roll your fenders but depending how wide you want them, may have to use spacers. Tire size will depend on rim width. Un4GivN is about right on pricing although I think I have seen a little lower prices. Weldcraft Wheels Wheel Widening Wheel Repairs Wheel Restoration They may be better able to answer your balance questions.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
$400 for both rear rims plus shipping then two tires is still cheaper than buying a whole new set for at least $200-$600 each rim depending on what I get then 4 tires at like $200 a tire.

Plus the stock rims look fine. I could get me some new slotted rotors with the money I would be saving buying all new rims and tires and really set the car off look wise with the chrome stock rims.

I disagree. You're already wanting to stagger the wheels, so if you bought 17x9's and 17x10.5s, you'd only have to buy two new tires for the rears. Use the same tires for the fronts and you'd still only be out a few more $ and have a nicer looking set of wheels. Like mentioned above, you will also need spacers for your rear tires and they're not cheap. However, this is MY opinion and it's your car, so have at it and let us know how it works out!

Kirko

Established Member
What's the biggest spacer I can get that will fit on stock lugs? I want the rear wheels to kinda run as flush as possible with the side without rubbing on the outside and I don't want rubbing on the inside. I was wanting around 10-11" wide in the rear with like 275 or 315 DRs. Realistically though I was thinking a 3/8" Spacer with the rim widened to 10.5" with 315/35-17 DRs would be good. Oh I will eventually be dropping the car an inch too. But I think since it is a 17" Rim it should fit without rubbing.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
I disagree. You're already wanting to stagger the wheels, so if you bought 17x9's and 17x10.5s, you'd only have to buy two new tires for the rears. Use the same tires for the fronts and you'd still only be out a few more $ and have a nicer looking set of wheels. Like mentioned above, you will also need spacers for your rear tires and they're not cheap. However, this is MY opinion and it's your car, so have at it and let us know how it works out!
meh, "nicer looking" is subjective. i've been toying with the idea of getting ahold of a set of stock silver 99/01 wheels and getting the rears widened. they are also much lighter than the 03/04 wheels...

What's the biggest spacer I can get that will fit on stock lugs? I want the rear wheels to kinda run as flush as possible with the side without rubbing on the outside and I don't want rubbing on the inside. I was wanting around 10-11" wide in the rear with like 275 or 315 DRs. Realistically though I was thinking a 3/8" Spacer with the rim widened to 10.5" with 315/35-17 DRs would be good. Oh I will eventually be dropping the car an inch too. But I think since it is a 17" Rim it should fit without rubbing.
ok, well i'll tell you now you're gonna need a lot more than 3/8" to not rub. i would say more like 3/4". and even then you're pushing it on a non-lowered car. if you were lowered you'd be fine, cause that lowers that bolt way out of the way...from what i remember, the most WeldCraft said they would do was add 2". so 10" would be max. i'd stick with the 315/35 tire on a 10" still though.

Kirko

Established Member
ok, well i'll tell you now you're gonna need a lot more than 3/8" to not rub. i would say more like 3/4". and even then you're pushing it on a non-lowered car. if you were lowered you'd be fine, cause that lowers that bolt way out of the way...from what i remember, the most WeldCraft said they would do was add 2". so 10" would be max. i'd stick with the 315/35 tire on a 10" still though.

So would I need a 3/4" spacer if I lowered the car an inch? If I could get it 10" wide that would be fine. I will have to call them sometime when I get a chance.

Sny714

Established Member
The stock wheels are polished not chrome. I think you would need more than a 3/8 spacer if you added 2" to the wheels considering it gets added to the inside.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
The spacer would need to be at least 1". Take a level against the fender and measure the distance to the wheel top and bottom and you will find out how much spacer you will need. You can add the spacers and not widen the wheels to get the look. Good wheel spacers are about $200. Do not buy crappy ones.

Everyone is right, if you widen the stock wheels, they will still need to be spaced out the 1" or more.

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
Like I said man, just buy some new rims!!

You don't need a rim job on yours. :dw: :xpl: :lol1: :nonono:

:shrug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread