Getting SVT Contour???

CobraDOHC

12 Second Z
Established Member
Ok, My brother is looking to get a SVT Contour....We are wondering what year you would recommend to purchase. We have found a couple about 40 minutes away and we may make the trip out there to look at them soon.....
Here's some we are looking at:

1998 52,000 miles --13K or so..Black
2000 25000 miles -- 16K or so..Silver

Is there really much of a difference between the two years other than the small HP increase??

Thanks in Advance for all your help...! :beer:

Also were there any major problems associated with specific years??

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
If you can get the y2k.

Few reasons, high c/r yet smaller displacement (somtheing like 2.49 or something). Bigger runners in the intake, they were dual honed intakes. And they ARE a tad faster than the others.

Reason to get the 98, you still have the return style fuel system.

BTW is it a 98 or 98.5??? Way to tell, if it still has the clock in the dash, and/or if it has the 'soft' rims. 98.5 have the 'Cobra R' rims.

Also, 13k for the 98 w/52k on it is a bit high IMO. I paid 13 for my 98.5 w/36k on it two years ago!!! I'd say 10-11. Also, gett'em down on the y2k.

Last edited:

Mystic 544

Established Member
Putting mine back up for sale!
98, almost 55K, all options, rear tint, Pioneer CD, KKM intake, exhaust work, good tires but would come with an extra new set too, Black/midnight blue. Up in the Northwest burbs (Elgin). I take extreme care of my cars...feel free to ask around :) Very good condition and asking under $13K. PM me for more info.
Tim

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
hmmm. Where to start...

2000 is returnless, 10.25CR (+.25), 2499cc (-45cc), revised MTX-75 tranny. (stronger syncros and gears & 2qt fluid capacity) & new style PCM.

99 was when they added the DH UIM, larger (modified 3L) LIM, More EH on both head ports (Primary & Secondary), revised struts & BFG KDW's. All these carried over to 00.

98.5 (E1) had cobra wheels and revised struts.

98 (E0) was a 98.

I'd choose between either a 99 or 00 myself.

Mystic 544

Established Member
Bobby
Where did you find that deal? Make sure of it's history, because $13,900 would be a great price and anything less would be crazy! A dealer back home has an 00 with 19K on the clock and they want $16K.
Just be careful..if it is a good car and you get it let us know!
Tim

sicksvt

Established Member
okay returnless fuel

you mean to tell me that some contour svt had a return fuel line and some didn't. i am comfused. mine has the clock in the dash and the "soft rims. let me know :shrug:

The BigSHO

Established Member
Go for the 2000. They are the best Contour SVTs for all the above reasons. I've owned two 2000s. My son and daughter bought them from me. That left me with the 92 Taurus SHO. The SHO has a 113K on it. I was looking for a lower mileage MTX SHO to replace the 92. I didn't find anything I liked in the SHO world for the money. So... I got a 98.5 Contour SVT with 31K. It was a sweet deal and priced barely more than a 95 SHO MTX. So I jumped. That being said, I may down the road dump both the SHO and 98.5 SVT and get another 2000 SVT.

The 2000s are better- tighter, faster, more reliable. Anyway, enjoy whatever SVT Contour you get. There are 2000s in Autotrader for $13K range all day long. I got my 98.5 for under $10K. The deals are out there - ebay, autotrader, etc... I saw a brand new 2000 in Texas six months ago for $17K. I'm still kicking myself that I didn't jump in time. Missed it by a few hours.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Re: okay returnless fuel

if yours has the 'soft rims' and the clock n the dash you have a 98 E0 CSVT not the 98.5. Also the returnless fuel system started somewhere ni the 99 model year.

Originally posted by sicksvt
you mean to tell me that some contour svt had a return fuel line and some didn't. i am comfused. mine has the clock in the dash and the "soft rims. let me know :shrug:

sicksvt

Established Member
so i could run a dry system what system would work for the contour....about a 50 shot of nitrous.... i would like to stick with NOS or if zex made a good kit

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
rule of thumb is 50% of your rated hp is what you could run safely. so in theory you could run a 100hp shot (which many have done) without trouble. I personally like it wet :) Zex is good and easy to install. IIRC NOS doesn't make a specific kit, but as I said the mustang kit will work fine

Dustyn

Established Member
I payed 13 and some change for mine with 38,000 on it. I would get a 98 with the return type fuel system you can do a little more things with it. Smart fuel pumps are no fun.

Users who are viewing this thread