Glass Roof Pics!!!

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
I never really even considered the glass roof since its so damned hot in the summer where I live, but after seeing these pictures I may reconsider. With the shade closed I wonder how well it keeps the heat out compared to the standard roof. Also, hows the noise level compare?

The car gets HOT with the glass roof while sitting all day in the parking lot at work. Not sure how much hotter than a standard roof car but mine is toasty when I come out. I generally close the shade and crack my windows open. I'm going to try a windshield cover this week and see if it makes any difference. I also had my roof tinted even more when I had my other windows done, it made it alot more enjoyable on sunny days to not have to close the shade to keep the sun from beating me up.

farmboy90

Established Member
The car gets HOT with the glass roof while sitting all day in the parking lot at work. Not sure how much hotter than a standard roof car but mine is toasty when I come out. I generally close the shade and crack my windows open. I'm going to try a windshield cover this week and see if it makes any difference. I also had my roof tinted even more when I had my other windows done, it made it alot more enjoyable on sunny days to not have to close the shade to keep the sun from beating me up.

So you don't have your glass roof tinted with any heat reflecting tint?

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
I don't understand your question. Yes, I had additional tint applied to the roof, 35%, 20% on all other windows of the car minus the windshield. It had little to no affect on making the car any cooler. It did however make it more enjoyable and not force me to close the shade while driving the car on a sunny day.

farmboy90

Established Member
I don't understand your question. Yes, I had additional tint applied to the roof, 35%, 20% on all other windows of the car minus the windshield. It had little to no affect on making the car any cooler. It did however make it more enjoyable and not force me to close the shade while driving the car on a sunny day.

I see. What kind of tint product did you use on the roof (Huper Optik, 3m Crystalline, etc)? I am trying to find out so I can do something similar for my glass roof. Sounds like what you got helped with the heat, but it still gets pretty hot?

How is it when you drive around on sunny days? Does the top of your head burn or anything?

Drwalker02

2013 GT500 Addict
Established Member
Here in TX it makes no difference than friends 2012 GT500 in terms of heat. Glass is treated with an SPF 50 coating. Rarely notice the heat when driving. Have my sunglasses. Almost like ring in my convertible, but LESS heat

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
The shop I use uses 3M film. I think the car still gets pretty hot but like I said I don't know how much if at any hotter it gets than a standard roof car. I'm sure it gets hotter though. Driving on sunny days, in the summer, it was just like being in a convertable without wind when it was untinted. It would get hot, especially sitting in traffic. With the tint I barely ever feel the need to close the shade while driving. Shade is really only used when I park the car. That being said I would definitely order the glass roof again unless I was getting a car purely for the track. It makes the car feel so much bigger inside and I also like how it makes the roof look blacked out.

My biggest goals when tinting the roof were to cut down on the sun while driving on sunny days and to save my brick red interior from fading out quickly.

Last edited:

farmboy90

Established Member
This helps SeanK, thanks! What tint % did you get on the roof?

Never mind, it looks like you said 35% on the roof in your earlier post.

farmboy90

Established Member
Here in TX it makes no difference than friends 2012 GT500 in terms of heat. Glass is treated with an SPF 50 coating. Rarely notice the heat when driving. Have my sunglasses. Almost like ring in my convertible, but LESS heat

So you didn't tint your roof? Do you plan to tint it? If so, what %?

farmboy90

Established Member
Yeah, one installer I talked to today recommends that you DON'T tint your roof. He said it increases the risk of cracking! Yikes! That sort of scares me.

I am in Phoenix though, where it is obviously BLAZING hot. So somewhat concerned about the heat....

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
How does film increase the risk of cracking? I don't believe that for a second.

Users who are viewing this thread