Glowing Rotor

J15BIG

Established Member
After I got off work the other night I took a couple of friends for a ride in the cobra. I started anywhere from 0-30 and took it up to about 120 every time. i hit the brakes after every run because I think braking is almost as fun as accelerating. Well those thermoquiet pads sure showed their quality after about the 4th time braking. I lost a lot of pedal slowing down that last time, the brakes felt like mush. I was only able to start my camera up so fast on my phone so I got this shot when the rotors were almost cooled off. When I first looked at the rotors they were glowing bright orange:
rotor.jpg

Time for some bremobs!! :rolling:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
"rotor warpage"

yeah no kidding i woulnd't do that much anymore if i were you

crew_dawg16

Established Member
It's really cool when you are runnin' at the track at night and after you go through the traps you see the guy next to you hit the brakes and you just see ORANGE everywhere. Pretty cool.

tommygun

Established Member
I would guess the reason you lost pedal effort wasnt the rotors being red, it was the fluid
getting overheated. I killed a set of rotors on my 03 racing some bikes 40-140 for an afternoon. Cool pic though

slowpoke9801

Cool....I did the exact same thing racing back to back a couple of times in one night.....they were bright orange like hot melted metal......oh yeah and they became warped after that....so i had to change them out.....I gues I know what you will be doing soon!

J15BIG

Established Member
NyteByte said:
I bet there was also a shower of sparks coming off those brake pads when you were coming to a stop.

Yup. This is a good enough excuse for me to go out and get all new brakes. I think Im goin to go with the brembo front kit from the 00R, some powerslot rears with some hawk HPS plus pads, and maybe some motul fluid. I think that setup should do ok for the few amount of track events I do. I think I should pick up a brake cooling system to. Anyone got any ideas?

hmmmidunno

BANNED !!!!!!!!!!
Kevin the Clean 1 said:
Ouch, can you say rotor warpage...

only if u let it cool down on its own.. changes the metalic properties and wont cool at the same rate accross the rotor causing it to warp... so best bet when they get hot cool them down at quick as u can.. and dont use water

ROADKILL

Established Member
Faster150 said:
only if u let it cool down on its own.. changes the metalic properties and wont cool at the same rate accross the rotor causing it to warp... so best bet when they get hot cool them down at quick as u can.. and dont use water

Then how are you supposed to cool them?

Users who are viewing this thread