GM drivers w/ DRLs exempt from law?

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
In North Carolina as well as other states I'm sure, you must burn headlights when operating windshield wipers. I've always thought that meant TRUE headlights, but I'd bet I see 8 out of 10 GM owners in rainy conditions not operating their vehicles with their headlights burning.
I know that some GM vehicles burn different lights (fogs/parking/dimmed headlamps) with different intensity but geesh...many of them don't even seem to think about (or care) that their rear is not lit at all and often times you can't see the front of their vehicle until you're close...especially when its pouring. This definitely does not seem safe IMO.

Is this a fuzzy law or just one that gets overlooked? Just curious.

Last edited:

NotoriousJaegs

~There Goes My Hero~
Established Member
This has no basis in law, but I would guess from the amount of people I see driving around with no lights whatsoever in inclement weather (rain, sleet, fog, hail, snow.....even at night!) :nonono: ; that it is probably more likely that you are seeing a bunch of idiots who don't know the light switch from a switch-blade, and are driving around oblivious, rather than making a conscious decision that "I'm not going to turn my headlights on because my autolamps are already going".

Lawman85

Banned
No fuzziness in the law. It must be the true headlights with tail lights. The only problem is when it's raining, most jurisdictions are out working wrecks all day and never get a chance to enforce that law.

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
interesting....
hmmm, did not know it was necessary on really rainy days!
My car doesn't have DRL's
I thought it was usually up to the driver's discretion, but I dunno, I kinda' skimmed that chapter in my driver's handbook...

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
Hmmm wait....
so do all cars in the us have DRL's?
See, I know for the 1991 model year Canada mandated DRL on all cars... And at that time I also think that GM car's in the us did not have DRL's (1991 astro owner's manual explains DRL's, and has a note that says (Canada only) next to it)
So, was it ever put into law in the us, or not?

stevieb

Established Member
Vancouver83LTD said:
interesting....
hmmm, did not know it was necessary on really rainy days!
My car doesn't have DRL's
I thought it was usually up to the driver's discretion, but I dunno, I kinda' skimmed that chapter in my driver's handbook...
Calif just passed the law this year, it the wipers are on, so must be the headlights. Bout time

WraithCobra

Don't want a GT500
Established Member
Vancouver83LTD said:
Hmmm wait....
See, I know for the 1991 model year Canada mandated DRL on all cars... And at that time I also think that GM car's in the us did not have DRL's (1991 astro owner's manual explains DRL's, and has a note that says (Canada only) next to it)
So, was it ever put into law in the us, or not?

No, DRL's are not required in the US. Most (if not all) GM vehicles have them, I think most Ford and DC don't.

NotoriousJaegs

~There Goes My Hero~
Established Member
Vancouver83LTD said:
Hmmm wait....

For the longest time all GM cars that were sold in both the US and Canada had DRLs because it would cost GM money to impliment it differently, and they are the king of taking the cheap way (at least they were, the new caddys are pretty nice). My 95 olds had them, and I was always pissed that the driver could not control the lights. I guess somebody must have been listening because on the new GMs you can option the car to have either autolights or defeat the system entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread