GM refuses to warranty stock Z06 and ZR1's for track usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

25psi

Established Member
C-6 Z06 Blown engine not warranted by GM - Corvette Forum

Just for the record My engine blew while on track at a performance driving school and our friends at GM WILL NOT WARRANTY THE ENGINE REPLACEMENT. The warranty language states that they will not cover damage caused while racing or competetive driving. I was not involved in either situation. I was enrolled in a performance driving school that does not teach racing or allow any competition between students. GM refused to review my class enrollment documents, would not inspect my engine or go through its computer info to even find out why or what caused the engine failed. Many dealers told me that I would have been better off if I had lied add told them it happened on the highway. DO NOT TELL GM YOU WERE EVER ON A TRACK! good luck to all others that enjoy track time with their Z's. I understand that they are changing the dry sump to a larger capacity tank for the 09's. Im now considering a Lingenfelter built engine for my GM BLACKBALLED Z06.

GM came out with a service bulletin specifically covering the ZR1, but what is interesting is how they work it in with what they claim is existing GM policy:

"General Motors designed and produced the ZR1 be driven on the roads. While the car is capable of awesome displays of power and speed it was not designed to be "raced". All of the restrictions that are currently in place for all of GM’s products are in place on the ZR1 as well. There are several notations in the warranty booklets that explain that GM may deny warranty coverage if the vehicle or part has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper or insufficient maintenance or modifications not approved by GM. This includes common "upgrades" customers may make such as wheels, tires, suspension, brakes, air induction and engine calibrations. Please ensure this is covered with the owner when the vehicle is delivered. The ZR1 will perform well in a track environment; however, it was not designed, built or sold as a "track car." If an owner elects to use the car in such a manner, it is outside the intent of the warranty as supplied by General Motors and any damage as a result may not be covered by the GM warranty. Explaining this to a customer before the car is sold may prevent misunderstandings later."

In any event, how they can know that the blown engine was "a result" of an arguable racing activity is difficult to fathom if they haven't taken the engine apart to see why it failed.

OMG say this ain't so..... GM will not cover excessive abuse. GTR meet kettle

25psi

Established Member
And then this

Something doesn't sound right here. I lost the engine in my ZO6 while at a driving school at VIR over Memorial Day this year. I had it towed to the dealer, and I was totally honest in every aspect of the incident. Mine was a low oil pressure induced failure. A main bearing was definitely involved, because it was audible by the time I got back to the paddock area after seeing the warning and feeling the power loss. The dealer knew all the details, including where I was and what I was doing. The car went back to Bowling Green three days later, and the engine was replaced under warranty. The service at both the dealership and factory was exceptional. They verified that my car was stock, and did a computer scan to verify no tune or other tampering. I was told that if a tune had been detected, the claim would have been denied. Of course, a denied claim is not the end of the process, and the customer might ultimately prevail, but it could be a very big problem. The Museum sponsors its own DE schools, with factory folks in attendance and participating. So again, a denied claim based only on participating in a DE event sounds wrong, assuming the car is stock.

At the time my car was in BG for engine replacement, there were 7 or 8 other ZO6's in line for new engines also. I got rid of the car shortly thereafter, because I could not get any information from the factory about either the problem with my engine, or, if there was a common problem that would have just been repeated in the new motor. But the rate of failures at that time suggested to me that a problem existed. If the larger sump proves to be the fix, and assuming GM and Corvette survive, I may buy another one next year.

Last edited:

25psi

Established Member
The Z06 has a "Competitive Mode" mode button that was used. Ahhh many the irony

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
I'm sure different dealers would handle the situation differently. Its to bad this finally happen to ONE guy. I'm sure you have been waiting for this.

Oh and great job posting a pic / vid.

Last edited:

25psi

Established Member
I'm sure different dealers would handle the situation differently. Its to bad this finally happen to ONE guy. I'm sure you have been waiting for this.

Nope, read the other qoute. Someone saw 7-8 stock Z06's in the dealership for warranty repairs. I could post the numerous rocker arm disasters and trans problems for the Z06 as well. But I won't though

08 Z06 Dude

ATD UV77MC
Established Member
Competition mode nixxes the cars traction and lateral stability nannnies. It has not been found to grenade the transmisson, unlike that pathetic slush box found in that portly POS GTR.

Blown 89

Established Member
Nope, read the other qoute. Someone saw 7-8 stock Z06's in the dealership for warranty repairs. I could post the numerous rocker arm disasters and trans problems for the Z06 as well. But I won't though
I did read the thread and in it were instances of people saying that the dealers sent a tow truck to the track and did the warranties for free. Voiding warranties at track days and voiding warranties by disabling traction control are two different things. If you bothered to read the thread you'd find that there isn't a black box either. Go find another forum to troll.

08 Z06 Dude

ATD UV77MC
Established Member
Even so I would NEVER tell the dealer I was at a track for racing, or competitive training or even running a slalom.....just seems like common sense to me.

I agree have it towed home from the track, and then have it towed from the house to the dealer.

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member

Oh wow there was more than one car at a dealer at one time? thats crazy.

25psi

Established Member
Competition mode nixxes the cars traction and lateral stability nannnies. It has not been found to grenade the transmisson, unlike that pathetic slush box found in that portly POS GTR.

Go read the numerous trans failure in the Z06. Go to the forum I posted. That POS trans in the GTR is more advanced than the Z06 altogether.

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
Go read the numerous trans failure in the Z06. Go to the forum I posted. That POS trans in the GTR is more advanced than the Z06 altogether.

Numerous failures covered by warranty?

25psi

Established Member
I did read the thread and in it were instances of people saying that the dealers sent a tow truck to the track and did the warranties for free. Voiding warranties at track days and voiding warranties by disabling traction control are two different things. If you bothered to read the thread you'd find that there isn't a black box either. Go find another forum to troll.

The GTR doesn't have a problem with the trans without launch control. Its the ones that abuse it doing(with LC) dozens of 4500 rpm dumps.

IMO, its more reasonable to have trans failure due to abuse than a complete blown engine due to track usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread