GN VS 04 Cobra

jumbojet

Established Member
OK. Last story. My buddies'(well we had a slight falling out since then LOL) 87 show and go GN...this happened awhile back as well..Funny that since I have been on this ite I am surprised as to how this went down. I would think the Cobra should have faired better...maybe he couldn't drive who knows.

After giving my friend a hand installing an exhuast on his 92 5.0 GT, I tell him it's time to pay me! How much do you want?? All I want is for you take that GN out of the garage for once an cruise it. His car is an 87 GN, mint condition(67K miles) with all the bolt on's, suspension, big turbo(T72 I believe), big front mount,3600 stall and a small cam..This car ran an 11.48 @116 with a 1.51 60'(50F) when it had the stock cam!! Best 1.47 60' now with cam, lifting at the big end due to problems with MAF. It's set up more for handling but can still get out of the hole great! He says he just put new gas in and charged the battery. After a 10min warm up were off. Cruising along at 30mph he can just light the DR's up with ease. He did this a few times hazing the DR's for fun leaving black strips all over the BLVD!

So were at the light talking about how bad he'd beat my Goat when we hear a REV to the right...what do you know a 2004 "Grey Terminator"! Guy was real cool and said the GN was SOOO bad ass. He said the strips we were leaving were impressive and he does the same with his 315mm DR's.. I let out a big laugh at that, and ask him what pulley he's running?? He laughs and says he's got DR's, pulley, headers,catback, CAI,underdrive pulleys(??)3.91 gears, race clutch and a few other things and said it dynoed in the 420RWHP range(I now know he was completely BS'ing us or didn't have these mods). He's was kinda vague and I figured he told us a lot but maybe not everything.

We agree to a run. No traffic around light turns and we're off. He pops the clutch and we hear him spin pretty bad. The GN pulled away and we let off at 60mph(took about 3.5seconds!!). He pulls up and said he spun and we agreed and let him know our tires were probably still warm from the hazing earlier.
So he does a slight burn out to warm up his tires and we pull to the next light! Light turns and he got an instant 1 car jump on us but then the GN starts gaining but not that quickly. We even out and shut down at about 100-110mph nose to nose. Man was I siked., No doubt this Cobra would kill my GTO!!
Guy said that was awesome and lets go one more time! My buddy said he didn't even have it floored(3/4 down) cause he was spinning a bit!! We did another burnout. Light turns and the Ford gets bout a 1/2 car on us but all of a sudden, the converter locked, that turbo kicked in, sounded like a friggin jet engine, and we pasted him. Felt like I was on a roller coaster with my stomach getting pushed in , nothing like the Goat!! We had 2-3 cars on him at 110-120 maybe more a bbit more. Just an awesome display of turbo power. The guy asked if we sprayed!! We told him no... he was impressed and said it's the first time he lost EVER! He said he's going to get a KB system soon and maybe we'll meet again. Most fun I ever had in a street race! This was serious muscle clashing and in the end the little 19 year old V6 won!!
My friend's car weighs 3600LBS empty so we had two guys to his one so weight was probably pretty close. His car had more out of the hole for sure(on the street). The problem with my buddy's GN is he constantly has to feather the gas cause the car starts going sideways even at 35-45 MPH. It's not like our cars(GTO) with instant big torque. The turbo spools and you just lose traction but in a controlled way..hard to explain! I think this has convinced me that TURBO is the only way to go...STS may have to be considered..HAHA.

Last edited:

anc2514

Genesis 1
Established Member
Funny quote: "It's set up more for handling but can still get out of the hole great!"

A GN set up for handling? Those words don't go together...

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
I love those GN's. Right there with the '03-04 Cobra as one of the best bang for bucks off all-time. Throw the AWD Turbo Syclone/Typhoon in that category as well.

Zeke0123

Established Member
I miss my Turbo T...nothing like the way it made the seats feel like they are being ripped from the floorboards at 35 mph.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Congrats - Want a cookie? Should we have a "Pride" parade?

Why the sandy vag?

My guess is because it'll take you more power to run the same number as a 20 year old car with 2 less cylinders.

Last edited:

DaJoker

Never Serious...Seriously
Established Member
Funny quote: "It's set up more for handling but can still get out of the hole great!"

A GN set up for handling? Those words don't go together...

Was thinking the same thing. No love still for the Turbo TA's......:shrug:

jumbojet

Established Member
TTA is just a sick car! Aren't the heads off a 3.0L engine or something so they fit?. I remember a guy at the track had an IROC with a T400 and a GN engine..car was going low 11's @ 127MPH..had a 8.5 10bolt as well.

The TTA is a beauty! Any interior shots?

DaJoker

Never Serious...Seriously
Established Member
TTA is just a sick car! Aren't the heads off a 3.0L engine or something so they fit?. I remember a guy at the track had an IROC with a T400 and a GN engine..car was going low 11's @ 127MPH..had a 8.5 10bolt as well.

The TTA is a beauty! Any interior shots?

I think your right about the heads. As far as the interior its not as nice as the ext. 20yr leather that wasn't kept up by previous owners so it needs the front seats redone. Thanks for the kind words.:beer:

jumbojet

Established Member
I think he meant a GN will ET better than a Cobra with equal power because it can get off the line so well! I have seen this first hand and it's crazy. Obviousl it needs mods and a stall but we're talking mod for mod....Now a SRA Cobra may be a different story LOL....Plus the GN is pretty light considering it's size..kind of like the 94-96 ImpalaSS was.

Users who are viewing this thread