Go Kart Shifter Questions

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
I have a frame and lets say a 600cc bike engine. How would i fab something up to shift it? This is the only thing stopping the project right now.:shrug:

tistan

Established Member
I have a 900cc motor that I've been thinking about using for a shifter kart. Did you build your frame or did you modify some other for of go kart frame? If you have pics of your frame could you send them to me so I can get some ideas.

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
theres a go-kart racing place around here called F1 Racing. My cousin works for them and got me a frame for free. I just have to enlarge the back to accomodate for the bigger engine. I have a complete metal shop at work so it wont be hard. Just looking for info on how to do the shift linkage.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
EATONSRT said:
theres a go-kart racing place around here called F1 Racing. My cousin works for them and got me a frame for free. I just have to enlarge the back to accomodate for the bigger engine. I have a complete metal shop at work so it wont be hard. Just looking for info on how to do the shift linkage.

Kinda hard to come up with something like that when you can't see how the transmission is mounted to the frame. Also where you want the shifter located is also needed.

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
The transmission is located inside the engine itself so its one in itself. I need to somehow put a lever shifter on the steering wheel or on the floor to shift it. I was also thinking if it came down to it i could bend a huge section of pipe right off the transmission and bend it so it comes up next to the passenger, basically a huge shifter pedal. This is probably the most direct route.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
As for a lever shifter on the steering wheel how about something like the brake on a bicycle. Have the lever there with a cable that runs down the steering shaft and pulls on the existing lever on the trans? Probably have to do a bit of fab work to get it to work smootly without binding. Wish I lived closer so I could come over and look at it to give you some more specific, detailed ideas.

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
i was thinking of the lever idea, but it really is 10x the work. If you look at the 125cc and 250cc shifter karts they have the same tube design as i'm talking about. Plus i dont see a way for the same lever to be able to downshift.

Was thinking of placing a small strut or stiff spring on the top and bottom of the shifter in the same spot, so essentially they would fight to put it back to the "ready to shift" or dead zero position after i shift a gear. I think the struts would also help with the shifter bouncing around and wreaking havoc on the transmission when not being used. I wish you were closer also haha Everyone thinks i'm crazy for doing this.

Last edited:

MTI LS1

EATONSRT said:
i was thinking of the lever idea, but it really is 10x the work. If you look at the 125cc and 250cc shifter karts they have the same tube design as i'm talking about. Plus i dont see a way for the same lever to be able to downshift.

Was thinking of placing a small strut or stiff spring on the top and bottom of the shifter in the same spot, so essentially they would fight to put it back to the "ready to shift" or dead zero position after i shift a gear. I think the struts would also help with the shifter bouncing around and wreaking havoc on the transmission when not being used. I wish you were closer also haha Everyone thinks i'm crazy for doing this.

LOL, Have you even driven a 250cc shifter kart? Why on earth would you want to put a 600cc motor on one?

My friend drives in the 250cc shifter class and I help him with the setup but have driven the kart alot in testing and practice. It has the power to weight ratio of a modern day F1 car. We can easily do 85-90mph down a 75yd straight away. Plus the kart will handle like shit. I guess if all you want to do is go REALLY fast then go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

MTI LS1

tistan said:
I have a 900cc motor that I've been thinking about using for a shifter kart. Did you build your frame or did you modify some other for of go kart frame? If you have pics of your frame could you send them to me so I can get some ideas.

Pointless, spend your money on a real shifter kart.

99caddysts

Established Member
hey, if your cuisin has any other frames that he might want to give away for free, then let me know.

I have been wanting to build a go-kart for years but have not had the money to do so. If i had a frame, i could afford a proper engine to make it work.

Users who are viewing this thread