goddammit.. I think I need new axles

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
I have the dreaded rear end tink on start up and reverse.. I tightend up my axle nuts and the noise is still there.

according to my searches I got the premature worn axles and hubs... how much are the parts? how difficult is it to do by myself? should I upgrade to '03+ axles?
the noise is only on the passenger side, should I change out both axles? :cuss:

Last edited:

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
upgrading to 03's would require all of the 31 spline parts- so it may be cheaper to go with Raxles- I hear they're about $250 each and just as strong if not stronger than the stock 03's as for the install - if you know what you're doing and have the right tools-like a hub puller etc. you should be able to handle it- I believe Taz did a short install write up a while back- when he upgraded to the driveshaft shop's stage 5's. Joe Lynch may also have a writeup on his site

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
E. Green Cobra said:
upgrading to 03's would require all of the 31 spline parts- so it may be cheaper to go with Raxles- I hear they're about $250 each and just as strong if not stronger than the stock 03's as for the install - if you know what you're doing and have the right tools-like a hub puller etc. you should be able to handle it- I believe Taz did a short install write up a while back- when he upgraded to the driveshaft shop's stage 5's. Joe Lynch may also have a writeup on his site

What extra parts are you talking about?!?!?

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
wals9331 said:
What extra parts are you talking about?!?!?
the diff and assocaited parts- they're are some other things involved when stepping up to the driveshaft shops stuff as well. However it may all be moot- as I believe he might have an 01 not a '99.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
E. Green Cobra said:
the diff and assocaited parts- they're are some other things involved when stepping up to the driveshaft shops stuff as well. However it may all be moot- as I believe he might have an 01 not a '99.

In his profile it says 01 vert....so i got confused...

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
yeah mine is an '01, so what do I need for the '03 axle upgrade?
by the way, I'm planning a rear end gear swap, would that be a good time to swap the axle/hub?

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Serpentor said:
yeah mine is an '01, so what do I need for the '03 axle upgrade?
by the way, I'm planning a rear end gear swap, would that be a good time to swap the axle/hub?
yes, and 03 halfshafts are needed for the swap, nothing else as far as I know.

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
droptopsnake01 said:
Solid rear!

haha nah... I love my IRS now. With all the mods to my IRS, I've gotten rid of all the shortcomings, and its so much more predictable at the limit then any griggs or MM phb T/A solid axle.

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
99cobrablack said:
yes, and 03 halfshafts are needed for the swap, nothing else as far as I know.

sweet... So is 03 haflshafts the way to go? or can I get better halfshafts at a similar price by going aftermarket?

just so I understand it clearly: if I were to swap the rear end gears, part of the that install is removing the rear halfshafts. So it would not cost extra labor to install the '03 axles???

crotchrocket

Established Member
have you thought that maybe its the brakes . I know mine does that when it sits especially in the mornings after all the morning moister has turned the rotors into solid rust. Seems like the brakes rust on to the rotors.. so it makes noise when you first move..but only does it when you first more for the day...........Just a thought

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
it happens pretty regularly during the day, with increasing frequency recently. so yeah I'm sure its not the brakes.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Serpentor said:
sweet... So is 03 haflshafts the way to go? or can I get better halfshafts at a similar price by going aftermarket?

just so I understand it clearly: if I were to swap the rear end gears, part of the that install is removing the rear halfshafts. So it would not cost extra labor to install the '03 axles???

The only extra thing they would have to do to swap the axles is break the axle nut off and put the knuckle on the new ones. No big deal. It would probably be the perfect time to switch them.

Edit: There are some aftermarket ones available, but it will be far cheaper to go with the 03 ones.

Buy these,

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206376

Last edited:

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
its an awesome price, but I'm a little weary about buying used axles. I dont want the splines to be pre-worned before I even installed it...especially since he's got a turbo on his cobra....
also i"m confused about whether or not CVs come with it...

has there been actual axle failures due to this tink? like the splines strip out totally?

Users who are viewing this thread