going big&little need advice on tire choice

97ttsnake

Established Member
hi, I'm going with a set of rt-s 17x4.5 & 15x10.33 on my cobra, I wonder my self about rear tire choice, was really interested in the 275 e/t street pro from m/t but they state on there web site that those are not for street use, before I change my mind and going with the old e/t street id like to have some feed back from customers who have them on the street, do the cops are on your ass as soon as they seen them? I guess that yes, but what about the DOT approval? on another hand it's not worst than some rear tire on racers....

I only drive the car on sunny day and I don't care to buy 2 set a year

need choice for the front runner too, I want to know what do you guys use on those 17x4.5

thanks for any advice!!!

Matt

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
Don't waste your time with drag radials, et streets or et drags.
Fronts I run 26x4.5x17 M&H bias ply front runners.
One front wheel- 17 x4.7 RTS with tire weighs 26-28lbs.

97ttsnake

Established Member
thanks, but my goal is to go from my home to the strip without changing anything, I hate changing wheel up there, and I see so many slick guys going with those radial pro this is why id like to try a set, just curious about street use

almost 30 pounds? is it me or they are a little heavy? but I guess they are strong enough for street use...

Mr.Venom

Quick with Boltons
Established Member
thanks, but my goal is to go from my home to the strip without changing anything, I hate changing wheel up there, and I see so many slick guys going with those radial pro this is why id like to try a set, just curious about street use

almost 30 pounds? is it me or they are a little heavy? but I guess they are strong enough for street use...

I want the same thing but its just not gonna happen if you still have IRS in the car. Hard compound tires wreck half shafts. Its nothing new. And you'll wear out a slick compound quick driving to and from the track. So you gotta make the decision whats important to you.

97ttsnake

Established Member
my cobra came sra from the factory, and it's built with a tru trac & 31 splines mooser axle now, fact is I sold my fr500 with nt05 up front and nt01 in the back to go with a street strip set up, I don't do lots of street mileage, so this is why I considered the gummy tire, in first lieu I look at the old e/t street in 325-50-15 but as someone told me the 275-60-15 e/t street pro are awesome

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
I'm running the ET street pro on a mid 6 to mid 700 HP turbo Cobra, and they flat out work.

It's the same compound as the et Street radial. I believe the difference lies in the side wall construction.

It's a steel belted DOT radial. Can't get more street legal than that.

97ttsnake

Established Member
thanks man those are the info i'm looking for!!!

have you got some problem with the cops? do they freak out when they see the ''almost'' slick look?

97ttsnake

Established Member
right, they are more looking for tinted window and loud exhaust, thanks for your input it's really appreciate, cant wait to do some suspension work on mine and install the gummy in the back :)

svt4me38 I will go with MH maybe me too but the drag radial one to fit the back

Last edited:

SYMach1

IRS FTW!
Established Member
On a clutch car i wouldnt go DR...only bais ply et street or slick, just seem to work better on a clutch car and easier on drivetrain parts in my opinion...auto car DR all day

97ttsnake

Established Member
well byas ply are slick only? i wont run slick, at least not this season, i need to take the car to and from the track and i wont change wheel under the burning sun, e/t street 325/50/15 with low air pressure will be my choice, with sportsman 28/17/6 up front

Last edited:

Ponyracer1

Established Member
Burning sun? You live in Canada, how hot can it be lol.

To question your earlier post,
"my cobra came sra from the factory, and it's built with a tru trac & 31 splines mooser axle now"
--um what?

You drive a 00 cobra R? What other cobras came with a SRA besides that one and a '93?

SLPCobra

Established Member
Burning sun? You live in Canada, how hot can it be lol.

To question your earlier post,
"my cobra came sra from the factory, and it's built with a tru trac & 31 splines mooser axle now"
--um what?

You drive a 00 cobra R? What other cobras came with a SRA besides that one and a '93?

I think he has a 97 cobra and those did come with sra's. 1999 was the first cobra to get the irs

Ponyracer1

Established Member
Huh, cool learn something new every day! I just always assumed cobra=irs. Guess you can tell I never owned or worked on one of the earlier ones!

97ttsnake

Established Member
yep SLPcobra is right, mine is a 97, and until 99 all cobra came with sra, i was just kidding about the sun, fact is i dont like to carry a jack and wheel at the strip, i better run all the time on e/t street and live with that, even if a buy 2 set for the whole summer it will be cheaper than buying new nt01 and a set of slick, and i will not have to change wheel at the strip

ctgreddy

Established Member
I think the biggest question is how many miles is your track that you'll be driving to? if it's less than like 30 then driving on et street bias ply's or qtp's is no big deal. More than that and you'll be wearing them down really quick. Dont worry about the cops either, if it has a dot tag which they do the cops wont care. Technically they could write you something for being "unsafe" with the basically no tread depth but they wont usually.

as far as tires choice, IMO the qtp, et street bias ply, or m&h cheater slick are all gonna give you very similar results. Another option might be a mt x275. Kinda like the best of both worlds in a radial and bias ply combined in one tire. Since they're similar to a radial they may last a little longer for street use also, just not sure how they respond to stick cars.

Depending on power level and suspension a real drag radial might not be out of the question either tho. since you've got a turbo car if you're not launching on full boost then a dr might be able to hold the power especially if you can quickly slip the clutch. Those would have much better street characteristics then a full/cheater slick.

97ttsnake

Established Member
well one track is really close like 30 minute from home and the others are over an hour from home, i wont race the car each week end then cheater slick is not my goal, thanks for all those advice they are appreciate!!!

i set up the 2 step like a month ago so i never do a launch on it, maybe i will try it one or 2 time just to see but i don`t like to think that everything under the car is loose and give it boost, best way to broke something

Users who are viewing this thread