Going Solid Rear, Need advice

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
I have a person that is going to swap me a 04 mach 1 rear with Moser axels. We will both be keeping the brakes we have. I had a few questions:

Car info:
03 cobra, stock motor, magnum t56, hellion single with upgraded turbo. Car makes about 16 pounds

Should i change the gear from the factory 3.55 in the mach rear ?

I have the coilovers up front, i want a setup in the rear that will put the power to the ground. Should i change the shocks ? The springs in the back will be the H&Rs. Not sure what spring i should run either.

Anything i should weld, adjust, paint on the rear before it goes back in? Any other suggestions would be great.

mkb116

Established Member
How much are you willing to spend?
What are your intentions with the car? (Street, drag, combo of both)
Are you planning to make more power down the road?

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
Going to use the car as a street and strip car. It is a weekend toy.

I plan to do a short block down the road.

Budget I like to do a little at a time and do it right. Rather than buying junk.

mkb116

Established Member
Weld the axle tubes while its out, 31 spline axles, I went 3.73's but definitely not necessary if your making 600/700. Get a good set of upper and lower control arms with the shocks of your choice. Call it good. I'm going to replacing my suspension with team Z motorsports uppers/lowers and anti roll bar.. But I'm going to the strip as much as I can. There's more you can do, but unless you plan on tracking it a lot, probably unnecessary.

mkb116

Established Member
I'm running some Kenny brown adjustable uppers and Megabite Jr lowers with eibach drag springs. I purchased them years ago, I don't even think they make either of them anymore. Like I said I plan to go to team Z uppers and lowers with stock gt springs with one coil cut and an anti roll bar. But I'm getting quite a bit of body roll with about 750 at the wheels and Lakewood 90/10 rear shocks.

I went the cheap route when I first got my solid axle in because I was doing a motor build, solid axle swap and tubular front suspension all at one time. I learned my lesson, one area at a time... And do it right the first time.

Any decent set of uppers and lowers is going to be fine. Just do some research and find something that fits your budget.

Last edited:

ajimmyjammin

Established Member
i've just installed all the straight axle rear stuff in my car.. strange axles with team z lowers and re-located uppers. the uppers were a little more, but absolutely worth it. i'm ~650whp and with mt et streets i spin a little in first and hook great in any other gear on the street.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
What size tire are you running? The 3.55s will be good most likely, but I actually prefer stepping down to a 3.27. Will keep you in your power band longer and help a ton with traction.

Ditch the H&R springs, they are only going to hurt traction, especially at the strip. A good budget setup would be Mach1 stock springs and LCAs with an adjustable spring perch so you can change ride height. If you want to spend more, get a good set of coil overs with adjustable shocks. Adjustable rear shocks are a MUST.

Also pinion angle. If you do not have the correct pinion angle set, you are throwing all of that work out of the window and doing no good.

How deep do you want to get into this? A basic setup like mentioned will get you decent 60 fts. If you want to go a step further, get an adjustable rear anti roll bar. NOT a sway bar but an anti roll bar. There are a bunch out there that are made to fit with tailpipes and can be used on the street. The one on my car is streetable and has been in the car since 2005, its a custom unit however, but there are some out there like mine. My car cuts 1.3-1.4 60 fts with the suspension setup described above with full interior. Drives like a dream on the street.

My best advice to you is. If you cannot splurge all at once to do the full build. Atleast buy good quality parts 1 at a time. Do not buy cheap shit.

What differential is in the car? I would suggest on running the Eaton TruTrack differential. Great performing street/strip diff and silent on the street.

Here is a shot of my rear end setup. Nothing crazy. 100% streetable and works at the track

MRCbar2.JPG

MRCbar1.JPG

1990jmcturbo

@03svtjmc
Established Member
i built my solid axle last fall and LOVE IT!!! my setup is the axle was out of a 03 GT, i welded the tubes, 31 spline axles, cobra diff, cobra pinion flange, strange 10 way shocks, team z adjustable lowers and relocated uppers. here is the build thread. car rides awesome! i also went with GT brakes and glad i did because u have to grind calipers to fit champion beadlocks as i am waiting for them now! this was done when i had the whipple last year as of now its a turbo car : )

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1086740-latest-03-cobra-SRA-build&highlight=

Users who are viewing this thread