going to buy 2014 Ford Explorer...

Wikkd03

Established Member
Going this weekend to look at new Explorers for the wife. We both really want the Sport but may not buy one depending on if they will negotiate. My question is what is the difference in the XLT and the Limited? from what I can tell you can get pretty much all the options on the XLT for a little cheaper. Are there certain options not offered on thr XLT?

Gaudin Ford

Established Member
The Sport is leaps and bounds better performance wise over any of the other Explorer models. I'm a big fan of the Sport.

The main difference on the Limited over the XLT is the Limited gets a body painted grill where the XLT has the standard silver grill.

Of course the Limited has leather and a few other options standard. Also the Limited is the only Explorer that has power rear folding seat. No other Explorer has power rear folding seat.

Leather is optional on a XLT

I can give you SVTP-Plan on a Sport if your dealer isn't interested.

xenodragon

Established Member
As a basis i got my Sport brand new for $38,295. This included a $2000 rebate that Ford was having at the time. Actual selling price was $40,295 The only options I got were the pass through to 3rd row and auto up and down lift gate. MSRP was $42,295. Not sure what options you are going for but i dont see why they wouldnt negotiate with you its not technically a "special" car.

The only thing I do not like about the Sport is the MPG and the torque steer. We drive a mix of suburbs and highway with ALOT of stop and go and never get above 18 MPG

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
As a basis i got my Sport brand new for $38,295. This included a $2000 rebate that Ford was having at the time. Actual selling price was $40,295 The only options I got were the pass through to 3rd row and auto up and down lift gate. MSRP was $42,295. Not sure what options you are going for but i dont see why they wouldnt negotiate with you its not technically a "special" car.

The only thing I do not like about the Sport is the MPG and the torque steer. We drive a mix of suburbs and highway with ALOT of stop and go and never get above 18 MPG

We average 18.9. City/hwy mix. about 3mpg less than the Taurus.

blownfox

Established Member
We picked up our explorer sport two weeks ago and we really it. We looked at the non sport but felt to slow. The sport is probably the best third row vehicle under $50,000. We paid 43, xxx and that included daul roof, gap, and the 401a package.

bigmoose

Established Member
My DD is a '13 Sport with the 401A package. This time of year you can get some great deals since the '15 is coming out very soon. My MSRP was 48.5K and i paid 43K for reference and i bought in February '13.

I'm averaging 19mpg mixed driving, but i see close to 23 on the highway. Best part about the sport is it responds awesome to tuning. With a simple tune alone it picks up 50hp/100tq under the curve and greatly improves the shift firmness and schedule. My Sport tuned now makes the stock sport feel like a pig.

Here is a link to a post for the order guide for the '15MY. i don't think much has changed since '14 and it shows all the options across all models.

2015 Ford Explorer Order Guide & Changes - Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"®

blownfox

Established Member
Is this tune running 91 with 170 thermostat?

My DD is a '13 Sport with the 401A package. This time of year you can get some great deals since the '15 is coming out very soon. My MSRP was 48.5K and i paid 43K for reference and i bought in February '13.

I'm averaging 19mpg mixed driving, but i see close to 23 on the highway. Best part about the sport is it responds awesome to tuning. With a simple tune alone it picks up 50hp/100tq under the curve and greatly improves the shift firmness and schedule. My Sport tuned now makes the stock sport feel like a pig.

Here is a link to a post for the order guide for the '15MY. i don't think much has changed since '14 and it shows all the options across all models.

2015 Ford Explorer Order Guide & Changes - Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"®

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Get the Sport and don't look back. My wife DD's a tuned Sport and we see 19.7 avg and it's a great ride... Only thing I hate is where they put the dead pedal..

cmsnake

Established Member
We have a loaded out limited to haul the kids around. The black painted grill, sony stereo, nicer 20'' wheels, and power third row are the upgrades over the xlt. Those upgrades are well worth it IMO. The xlt stereo and controls are a little aggravating to be honest. From what I gathered, the sport is simply a limited with the ecoboost. In our case the premium for the sport wasnt worth it for what we use it for. Although the sport wheels do look good...

Users who are viewing this thread