Going To Court For Being Dumb

zzzzzer

Livin' Life Roush-less :(
Established Member
Unbelievable. :nonono: Like an idiot I was just clocked doing 68 in a 45. Because its over 15mph the Officer said court is mandatory.

He was pretty hardcore but I stayed respectful and by the end of the stop he actually helped me out. He told me the name of the Clerk (I think he said Clerk) and that he wouldn't be in court that day. I should ask the Clerk(?) to reduce the speed to where it won't impact my insurance (I guess he means points).

From there he said slow it down. I said will do, thanks, and be safe out there. When he left I noticed the back of the ticket :read: has an "X" in the boxes for Fine, Court Costs, and Total.

Sorry for asking what may be really dumb questions but if anyone could answer these I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
:beer:
-------------------------------------

(1) How does this process work? I've never appeared in court.

(2) My appearance date is August 11 but the time is completely illegible. Can I call District Court to find out when I'm scheduled?

(3) Does the "X" in the boxes for Fine, Court Costs, and Total give the Clerk(?) leeway?

(4) The Officer won't be in court but I'm not looking to try to get out of the ticket. He was cool about things so I just want to suck it up and pay the judgement. Will the Clerk(?) have any problems believing that the officer said for me to ASK if it could be reduced so it wouldn't impact my insurance?

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Dang Jay, sorry to hear about that. I hope everything works out for you...and I don't know any of the answers to your questions :shrug:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
(1) Go to court on the date and time noted. Look at the court calender, it should be posted on the wall somewhere. Make sure your name is on it. At this point you can sit down and wait for them to call the calender and tell them you are there. Or do as the officer said and as soon as you get there speak to the clerk or prosecutor(if the officer isnt the prosecutor) and tell her what he told you. I would tell her that you are willing to plead guilty to a non point violation and pay the fine. Since the clerk is about collecting cash, she will like that.

(2)Call the Court clerk and ask her for that date what time court is.

(3)The clerk will have leeway without the officer being there. As for that box, since I cant see the ticket it is difficult to tell what it truly means out of the context of the rest of the ticket.

(4)Clerk should be cool with it, especially since you have the heads up the officer wont be there. You obviously got that info from the officer. Again tell her you are willing to plead to a non point violation and pay the fine.

Good Luck

zzzzzer

Established Member
Thanks Jonathan. :) Its my last week in Charlotte, NC so I'm calling this my moving out tax...lol I had it coming, though. I had just gotten off the highway and was on Tyvola Rd which is wide open. I wasn't paying attention -- that darn Prodigy CD made me do it.

Last edited:

zzzzzer

Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
(1) Go to court on the date and time noted. Look at the court calender, it should be posted on the wall somewhere. Make sure your name is on it. At this point you can sit down and wait for them to call the calender and tell them you are there. Or do as the officer said and as soon as you get there speak to the clerk or prosecutor(if the officer isnt the prosecutor) and tell her what he told you. I would tell her that you are willing to plead guilty to a non point violation and pay the fine. Since the clerk is about collecting cash, she will like that.

(2)Call the Court clerk and ask her for that date what time court is.

(3)The clerk will have leeway without the officer being there. As for that box, since I cant see the ticket it is difficult to tell what it truly means out of the context of the rest of the ticket.

(4)Clerk should be cool with it, especially since you have the heads up the officer wont be there. You obviously got that info from the officer. Again tell her you are willing to plead to a non point violation and pay the fine.

Good Luck
Thanks a million, Hulk!! I appreciate it!! :beer:

zzzzzer

Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
No problem sir. Stay well and enjoy Florida.
Thank ya', sir. :) And I'll do just that...in 18 months. :( I'll be at Morris College (SC) year round from August 2003 - December 2004 to wrap undergrad.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
No prob Jay. I'll be on the Ga/Fl border going to school this fall at Valdosta State University :thumbsup: trying to prepare myself for the hot weater :D

zzzzzer

Established Member
Originally posted by SNCBOOM
No prob Jay. I'll be on the Ga/Fl border going to school this fall at Valdosta State University :thumbsup: trying to prepare myself for the hot weater :D
Hey, I knew someone who graduated from there! :thumbsup: Good luck and have fun -- kinda hard not to. :-D But don't get any tickets...lol

Users who are viewing this thread