Going to get my whipple cobra tuned. ADVICE

sonicblew

Established Member
hey guys, im taking my whipple cobra to get tuned Saturday in Illinois at Deans Performance, but it will be done by Bob Kurgan. He is based in Georgia now but is coming back for a couple days and is doing dyno tuning at Deans Performance shop.
Anyway, I wasn't sure if i needed to do anything else besides bring my sct handheld and car. Any advice. I dont want to just leave with the a/f and hp/tq numbers. What kinds of things should i ask them to add to the tune or document for later if i have trouble. Timing, injector duty cycle, etc. Should i add ice for the dyno run? just little tips like this would be great. Im driving 4hr each way to get this done and paying a pretty penny for the tune just want to get the most out of it and also make sure its good and safe.
I have a 2.3 whipple with all the supporting mods and LT's also 3.1 upper pully and 2#lower.
Thanks guys :beer:

2k4Terminator

Established Member
Go e85 and run 22-23 degrees of timing... Cycling ice through is not really needed but I promise your car would love you and your car will make more power. (I cycle ice when mines on the dyno.) it also makes sure your pump is working! But if your are not able to go e85 get c16 and have him give you a tune on your handheld for 93 and then another for a 50/50 93 octane and c16 mix tune. (which he'll add timing to that tune)

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Make sure your belt, plugs, oil etc are all good. It's always good to know where you stand on spark, FPDC and MAF counts. That way if the car starts to act funny later, you can log it possibly spot a problem.
You can add ice if you want a peak number pull, but it's not like you're going to pull off on the side of the road and add ice when you're driving.
A dyno tune should be for drivability/reliability first, numbers second.

Last edited:

sonicblew

Established Member
Go e85 and run 22-23 degrees of timing... Cycling ice through is not really needed but I promise your car would love you and your car will make more power. (I cycle ice when mines on the dyno.) it also makes sure your pump is working! But if your are not able to go e85 get c16 and have him give you a tune on your handheld for 93 and then another for a 50/50 93 octane and c16 mix tune. (which he'll add timing to that tune)
Yeah i dont think e85 is a viable option in my neck of the woods not to mention i dont have time to change up all the fuel stuff right now. injectors would need to be bigger i believe along with other stuff. I'll probably do the ice then tho. i dont even know where to get c16 around here, plus i wont lug a gas tank in the back of my car all the way there. even if they have it up there i dont know where id get it around here after the tune is on the car. If i do find out i can do a race gas tune, what kind of gain can i see on a setup like mine?
What are your fuel mods? And is this a pump gas tune for 93?
Yeah it would be a 93 octane tune. the fuel mods are
Lethal Performance/Fore Precision sending unit
Single -8 to stock rails
60# injectors
Twin GT pumps
Dual FPDMs and wiring upgrades using Lethal Performance harness
Make sure your belt, plugs, oil etc are all good. It's always good to know where you stand on spark, FPDC and MAF counts. That way if the car starts to act funny later, you can log it possibly spot a problem.
You can add ice if you want a peak number pull, but it's not like you're going to pull off on the side of the road and add ice when you're driving.
A dyno tune should be for drivability/reliability first, numbers second.

Ok, i will add that to my list of facts i want from him after the tuning is done. i will prob do a ice down for a nice final pull. :D

jcveron

Established Member
Yeah i dont think e85 is a viable option in my neck of the woods not to mention i dont have time to change up all the fuel stuff right now. injectors would need to be bigger i believe along with other stuff. I'll probably do the ice then tho. i dont even know where to get c16 around here, plus i wont lug a gas tank in the back of my car all the way there. even if they have it up there i dont know where id get it around here after the tune is on the car. If i do find out i can do a race gas tune, what kind of gain can i see on a setup like mine?
Yeah it would be a 93 octane tune. the fuel mods are
Lethal Performance/Fore Precision sending unit
Single -8 to stock rails
60# injectors
Twin GT pumps
Dual FPDMs and wiring upgrades using Lethal Performance harness

Ok, i will add that to my list of facts i want from him after the tuning is done. i will prob do a ice down for a nice final pull. :D

you should have no problems getting to 640-66-rwhp on a race gas tune

Users who are viewing this thread