going to take out the cats on my L

Dusten

Established Member
the gains are minimal at best. I saw no track gains at all. It will be loud though

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
You live in the Peoples Republic of Californication, no way in hell you will get that puppy through smog legally without cats.... is sounding louder worth it? I seriously doubt it.

But hey, it is your truck, do what you want, enjoy.

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
I had them done in my truck. My truck and it was loud but I'm in TEXAS. That's the way we roll. People in the neighborhood knew when I was coming and going thats forsure. Although, I don't recall anymore fumes than my jeeps exhaust.

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
I got til Sep of 13 to get hi-flows

Better do your homework, pretty sure there are no aftermarket cats are CARB certified, guaranteed fail on the visual. Most muffler shops won't even touch the cats.
A good suggestion, if you just want loud and no performance gain, go for it but save the stock cats for inspection time. You will need some drive time on them to clear any codes that come up, and they will.

Ralph50

Speed Addict
Established Member
Performance gains are negligible if any.

I think mine got slower after removing the cats.

fishin-nole

Bone idle and work shy!
Established Member
LOUD for sure. As for the smelly, I don't know where people get that from. Mine is not smelly at all until I put race gas in and I love that smell.

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
Better do your homework, pretty sure there are no aftermarket cats are CARB certified, guaranteed fail on the visual. Most muffler shops won't even touch the cats.
A good suggestion, if you just want loud and no performance gain, go for it but save the stock cats for inspection time. You will need some drive time on them to clear any codes that come up, and they will.

The dealership I bought my truck from had to install a set of aftermarket cats on the Bassani offroad midpipe. I get my vehicles smogged at a local test-only center and didn't have any issues getting it to pass.

I agree with everyone that says it's too loud without cats; the drone will drive you insane.

Last edited:

Tex Arcana

Established Member
i have a bassani catback wonder how it will sound:smmon:

NOES!! DON'T KILL TEH CATZ!!

2ufdf1v.jpg

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
The dealership I bought my truck from had to install a set of aftermarket cats on the Bassani offroad midpipe. I get my vehicles smogged at a local test-only center and didn't have any issues getting it to pass.

I agree with everyone that says it's too loud without cats; the drone will drive you insane.

Congratulations, I did not say it can't be done, I am saying it is not legal, regardless what a dealer did or did not do. You are implying that because a dealer did it, it is legal, really, how many scrupulous dealers do you know? There isn't jack one of them that wouldn't sell his mother's soul to make the deal. The same goes with smog stations, not all of them will ignore the visual or no-pass situations.

Just advising the OP that he needs to approach this cat removal with caution and have a back-up plan in California.

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
Congratulations, I did not say it can't be done, I am saying it is not legal, regardless what a dealer did or did not do. You are implying that because a dealer did it, it is legal, really, how many scrupulous dealers do you know? There isn't jack one of them that wouldn't sell his mother's soul to make the deal. The same goes with smog stations, not all of them will ignore the visual or no-pass situations.

Just advising the OP that he needs to approach this cat removal with caution and have a back-up plan in California.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...se2GBA&usg=AFQjCNHzn_nrcSDmfnZq2BksfYxSyf3bbA

Looks like it's legal to me. :rollseyes

J.Rovirosa

Established Member

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...se2GBA&usg=AFQjCNHzn_nrcSDmfnZq2BksfYxSyf3bbA

Halfway down that pdf, you'll find a link to a list of C.A.R.B. exempted converters.

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member

Halfway down that pdf, you'll find a link to a list of C.A.R.B. exempted converters.

Thanks for the link and the info. As I read on found that CARB had rescinded the approved list and as of this year (2012) and their site information is being updated (site is not current) and shows that there are only a couple of approved cats which does not include Bassani or Magnaflow, so yeah, I stick by my statement that the OP should call CARB and have a back-up plan. What worked for you may not work for him. Just sayin'.......

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
Thanks for the link and the info. As I read on found that CARB had rescinded the approved list and as of this year (2012) and their site information is being updated (site is not current) and shows that there are only a couple of approved cats which does not include Bassani or Magnaflow, so yeah, I stick by my statement that the OP should call CARB and have a back-up plan. What worked for you may not work for him. Just sayin'.......

You're welcome. I'm always amazed at what a five-second Google search will uncover.

Users who are viewing this thread