Going to the track, worried about Half shafts

Evilcartman

Established Member
Ok, this will be my third time to the track, but it will be different now. I now have Nitto's, a 65mm T-body and hopefully cold weather. I think with a good launch I can break into the 11's. I'm just worried about my rear half shafts.

Who has broken theirs and what did it take - Mods and launching technique? What part of the shaft breaks also?

I'm just trying to be careful since this is my everyday driver.

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
I think the concensus was that the wheel hop was the cause. If you start to get the hop, just back out. Hopefully somebody with more experience will chime in.

rotorhed

Established Member
You may have read it elsewhere already, but I watched a guy break one at Cecil Co., MD on Saturday.
Black '03 with M/T slicks snapped it immediately when the clutch was released. It "sounded" like he was revving pretty high, maybe 4-5K, when he released the clutch.
No wheel hop, sticky track & tires.....

SnakeEyes87

Established Member
The half-shafts are bothering me too. I did a bad launch and got tons of wheel hop, immediately let off and shifted to 2nd. I hadn't done it that bad before that launch and that's what got me worried about it.

Has anyone tried any of the kits that beef up the half shafts or anything that nearly eliminates the wheel hop? Wasn't there a product from Amazon Racing if I am not mistaken?

Thanks
Chelsea

Users who are viewing this thread