Going to Utah

El Jeffe

Established Member
Going to Boss Track Attack at Miller Motorsports Track in Utah Sept 17th.
Like to hear comments from any owners that have done it already

TRDon

Established Member
It is definately a good time. Eat at chick fil a if you dont have one by you. People contantly say you need to do the.sefond day. I was the only one in my class who didnt. I dont feel like i missed out on anything. Day two is not boss related and is more track and driving related. Seeing as how i am not racing my car and probably wont do a road course again, i was fine with the one day experience. I took that money i would have spent on day 2 and paid for 1/2 of a friends day instead. I wanted to share this rare experience with someone who would have fun and appreciate it. To me that was worth a lot more than a second day for myself.

Fordman9870

Proud Dad of Twin Marines
Established Member
You have 1 yr from your purchase date I believe.
I loved my time in Utah.
I made it a small vacation.
My wife and I stayed in Moab for 3 days (going to Arches and Canyon lands parks and scouting the area around.) We went on the Hummer Sunset trip (no comments please haha) and we had fun, Got to climb rock formations that I didn't think anything could climb and see an awesome Utah sunset as well as Dinosaur foot prints galore.
Then stayed 2 days in Salt lake city. Was OK but should have stayed more in Moab. The track day was awesome as well as the teachers. Plenty of track time and great food. They stress fluids and I drank all I could that day.
Then end of the day when you think you are all cocky and that you have taken your car to the limit guess again. The instructors give you a two lap ride along that will make you realize that you hadn't even started to use the car to its full potential. They are wicked fast. My wife almost got sick By the end of her two laps hahaha. Take A GoPro or the like and mount it to the roll bars or have a friend go with you and video it from the stands. This is something you will not want to miss.

Last edited:

sprint200

Established Member
Going to Boss Track Attack at Miller Motorsports Track in Utah Sept 17th.
Like to hear comments from any owners that have done it already

My wife and I made a long weekend of the trip last October (20th-22nd). We took a day to site see in SLC and then a day of hiking in the mountains. If the Olympic Village had still been open, I would have liked to have taken a run down the bobsled course...........:whine:.

As far as accommodations go, We stayed at the Airport Hilton and can't complain too much about its relative convenience. As an historic architect though, I would much rather have stayed HERE! From a day's observation though, you had best make reservations well in advance, as many a well-healed Mormon couple pick it as their wedding night resort of choice.

Now regarding the Track Attack; I have no idea your track experience but that shouldn't matter, the advice wouldn't change. I had had several years of Open Track outings, and a few wheel-to-wheel races under my belt before my Boss Track Attack day and this was certainly my attitude. Leave your ego at home. Show up with really big ears, the instructors are true professionals and anyone stands to learn from this experience. As lots of people have noted in various threads, hydration is at the top of the priority list, especially at this altitude. But don't wait until that day to start drinking water. Start at least two days earlier!

The sessions are split up in rotating groups to accommodate the number of students for the day. In the morning they cover some classroom basics on safety and then several driving "exercises" including heel-toe down-shifting. They take you out on the track and (on foot) show you several corners, making specific points of visual reference to help you "see" the driving line through sections of the track. Pay close attention to this, as you will benefit from it later in the day.

My favorite part of the morning however, was the "skid-pad" car. This car is nothing to look at. it's a front-wheel drive, run of the mill "rent-a-car". But it is held in a cradle with four out-board wheels on hydraulic lifts. The instructor sets the car up so that it has almost no lateral traction. It's like driving on ice! The point of the exercise is to teach your "butt" what a car feels like just before it loses grip in a corner, AND how to pro-actively respond with steering and throttle input. Some guys think it's a silly waste of time...........It's NOT!:read: If I could have spent another hour in this car with the instructor, I would have learned sooooooo much more car control. They make it feel so easy during the demonstration laps :cuss:

The afternoon begins, IIRC, with the "Lead-Follow" track session. Whomever is first in line behind the instructor needs to "tail-gate like hell" and follow in the exact tire tracks of the instructor. And everyone behind ditto. I you are several cars back, don't look at the car right in front of you. Look at the instructor's car and try to duplicate his driving line. It's okay to ignore the guy in front of you if he is not driving the instructor's line! Hopefully they put the most experienced guys in the back, because they benefit the least from this exercise, relatively speaking.

When you go out for your "hot laps" with the instructor, LISTEN to his directions. Oh, and don't get freaked out if he grabs the steering wheel in the middle of a corner to correct your line :eek:

Two things to remember:

1. Don't drive "over your head". Go as fast as you can, but not faster than you are able. Most people don't have a problem with this issue. They're scared to death of wrecking the car. (Ps. Buy the track insurance policy.....;-))

2. The car is way faster than you think it is and will stick in the corners even when you think it won't. Most people have trouble with this one, but that's why Ford gave us this opportunity........:thumbsup:

The absolute most important thing to remeber is to have a freakin' BLAST while you're there!

Enjoy! :beer:

Ps: Here's a shout out to James Burke, good to see you running with Roger in the Grand Am this year. That hit in Atlanta looked nasty, stay away from those oil slicks.

Last edited:

Tank5879

Established Member
Definitely do the second day. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I decided to bring my dad as my guest and my mom and girlfriend came along as well. We did boss, second day with fr500s and the four of us did the half day raptor experience, a bargain at 300$, especially if jumping a raptor is on your bucket list!. Also, we added a road trip to the end of the miller experience and hit up the 5 national parks. Expensive, yes, but like I said, once in a lifetime. Also if you plan and book ahead you can spread the costs out over a long period of time. I believe we started by paying for miller in november, flights in january, and trip was in april. We took the attitude that we would probably never go to Utah again. Now I want to go to Utah again but only to miller motorsports!
B

forcefedcobra

Established Member
patiently waiting for my owners kit to show up so the wife and I can plan a mini vacation early spring to attend. we did the regional srt drive event when we bought her srt4 pos caliber and it was a blast. not near as expensive and only a 4 hour trip to topeka to heartland park where I have been several times before but the two of us deserve a trip. not sure if she will want to drive after seeing the cost to have a driving guest though.

El Jeffe

Established Member
Thanks Guys! We are using one of our timeshare bonus weeks and staying in Park City...have stayed there before...not exactly close...but close enough and love the atmosphere there vs SL City. Did a week of something similar to this years ago at the Bertil Roos School of Driving at Pocano Racetrack in PA. He was team mate of my boss who at that time raced Formula Atlantic in Canada with Bertil. He had what he called the SLIDE CAR...similar to what you discribe. Also talked to a few Boss guys recently at Carlisle (PA) Ford Nationals that went and they all were very complimentary of the program and especially the instructors. All said they had a blast and would do it again in a heartbeat. One guy did mention getting the mobile camera to mount on the car...he did it and got some great video for posterity.
Guy I talked to at MillerMotor Sports when I booked mine told me to be sure to bring my lead foot. I told him there are at LEAST 12 PA State Troopers around here that could tesitify on my behalf on that point! haha (ouch $$$$)
Looking for a real good time in a great car with pro instruction and some good comraderie with fellow Boss owners. My wife is coming and going to do all but out on the track, but she is doing the ride with the pro driver at the end as well.
Can't wait...she yells at me when I do over 70MPH....is she in for a surprise or WHAT!
ah SWEET revenge.....lol Did buy the insurance....just in case.

Mystic195

Established Member
I just signed up for Oct 22nd and can't wait! My wife and I are both going and are considering the second day. Not sure what to do. Any opinions would help! What is everyone's opinion on the insurance as well?

Tank5879

Established Member
definately do second day. with the expense of going out there its totally worth it. make it a trip to remember. I dont remember how much the insurance was, but unless you have $55k to spend in the event of a complete vehicle loss you might consider it. If I had to do it all over again, I would do the full day raptor instead of the half day.

RTD

Established Member
I did it last year. It was a blast. Only two things I would have done differently - I stayed at the Residence Inn by the airport, I'd have stayed in Toele had I known how long the drive is, and I also would have stayed for the second day had I known how much fun it was going to be.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I just signed up for Oct 22nd and can't wait! My wife and I are both going and are considering the second day. Not sure what to do. Any opinions would help! What is everyone's opinion on the insurance as well?

My wife and I will be there at the same time. I signed up for the second day and for sure signed up for the insurance. its like 200 bucks to cover both days.

We tried to reserve a room at the holliday inn express in Tooele but it is full up.

Tank5879

Established Member
comfort inn and suites is where we stayed. 15 min from the track, about a year old. has a racecar in the lobby and good breakfast.

65sohc

Established Member
I did it last week. It exceeded my expectations. One of the many highlights was the hotlaps at the end of the day. I thought I was doing OK until I was a passenger for two laps with a NASCAR driver behind the wheel. I told the instructor, Stan, that I wished he had done the hotlaps at the beginning so we would have a better idea of the cars' extensive capabilities. He just laughed, saying that if he had done that everybody would have thought they were pros and cars would have been flying off the track. Had I to do it over again I would be much more aggressive in getting onto the curbs at the apex and getting on the brakes. The car I drove felt significantly less powerful than my car, likely due to the 4200+ ft. altitude and the fact that my car has an aftermarket CAI and tune. One of the exercises is to use launch control. The engine is set for 3500 rpm. The car spins the tires for about three feet and barely chirps in second whereas my car lights the tires in first and all through second if I let it. Bottom line: the Track Attack cars can take a lot of throttle without getting loose.

AZBOSS

Established Member
Great time, great program. Can talk to and get instruction from some really great drivers. Lots of opportunity to learn the car for those who don't have much track experience, and lots of opportunity to learn a new track for those who aren't strangers to HPDE etc.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
Great time, great program. Can talk to and get instruction from some really great drivers. Lots of opportunity to learn the car for those who don't have much track experience, and lots of opportunity to learn a new track for those who aren't strangers to HPDE etc.

I'm looking forward to a new track while my wife is looking forward to sitting in on class time with me. lord knows she needs it!

Users who are viewing this thread