Gone buut not forgotten local darg strip

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
Was abandoned after the flood of '72, a few big name racers ran this strip. This track is where Joe Amato started his career.

pocono1

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
I wonder what a good e.t. was for a street car back then? Something like what a sub 13 second time is today.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Love seeing stuff like that.

Why did they never fix it or try opening it again?

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
my dad one a few D Stock races there back in 60s

Thats awesome, are you originally from around here??

Love seeing stuff like that.

Why did they never fix it or try opening it again?

The flood of 72 did a lot of damage, I guess a drag strip was low priority. They also started putting up houses and from what I understand the land the drag strip was on is now a development.:nonono:

Y2k4cobra

Bohemian Bandit II
Established Member
Man what I wouldn't give to be 18 in 1963, the start of the muscle car boom, you could get your foot in the door with the car manufactures and get sponsored by them. Cheap parts and lots of muscle cars to pick from!!

99cobra302

Established Member
i love old shit like this. i live in a neighborhood that is next to what is now called "Raceway Woods" its now a forest preserve, but it used to be knows as Meadowdale International Raceway. it is so cool to go over there and just walk around. Back in the day, it used to have the longest straight away of any road race track in the world 3/4 of a mile!!

here is the website Meadowdale International Raceways

Last edited:

EVO32570

Established Member
I remember "Niagara Drag Strip" in NF,NY. It was a old abandoned dragstrip from the 60's we use to go run on. It still had the grandstands up. This was back in the late 90's.

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
Man what I wouldn't give to be 18 in 1963, the start of the muscle car boom, you could get your foot in the door with the car manufactures and get sponsored by them. Cheap parts and lots of muscle cars to pick from!!

I feel the same way. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread