Good and bad news about the shelby motor (PICS)

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Good and bad news about the shelby motor (PICS)
BAD
No room for upper to be smaller. The snout is nearly the full dia of the pulley ID.
No Room for Lower to be bigger. There is a temperature sensor boss formed in the timing chain cover less than 3/8" from the pulley lip.
No Manley H-Beam rods. Looks like crappy hyperteutic stuff.

GOOD
no cooling mod needed. There is a water crossover in the intake manifold.

twin disc 26 spline clutch. Valeo manf again.

Pistons have a bigger looking top ring land.

20289-good-and-bad-news-about-the-shelby-motor-pics-pulley.jpg

20290-good-and-bad-news-about-the-shelby-motor-pics-no-lowe2r.jpg

20291-good-and-bad-news-about-the-shelby-motor-pics-piston-rods.jpg

20292-good-and-bad-news-about-the-shelby-motor-pics-cooling-mod.jpg

20293-good-and-bad-news-about-the-shelby-motor-pics-26spline.jpg

Fuel rails are stamped/soldered sheetmetal. There shape is designed to clear access to the intake manifold bolts.

Flywheel is looking like it came off a 10-speed bike

Another view of stuff super close to the lower. Looks like external oil cooler too. those tubes connect to the oil filter boss

Also the blower drive belt is nearest the motor, the accessory belt is away, reverse of the terminator.

20294-good-and-bad-news-about-the-shelby-motor-pics-fuel-rails.jpg

20295-good-and-bad-news-about-the-shelby-motor-pics-fuel-rails2.jpg

20296-good-and-bad-news-about-the-shelby-motor-pics-2win-disc-clutch.jpg

20297-good-and-bad-news-about-the-shelby-motor-pics-pistons.jpg

20298-good-and-bad-news-about-the-shelby-motor-pics-no-lower.jpg

Looks like if you shelby lads want more than 475 or whatever it dynos you are gonna need twin screw or turbos. Doug from Billetflow was standing next to me as I took these pics. He said there might be room for a 1or 2lb pulley on the top. I doubt it. That pulley is already like a 3.0/2.9 size and barely clears the snout.
He mentioned something else he could do to raise boost but it is a secret till he says go.

NCETRY

Established Member
That sensor is the crankshaft position sensor.

Changing the blower belt will be a real bitch. Do you have any better pictures of the front of the engine? It would be nice to get a better look at the lower pulley set up.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
So how did they achieve this 638rwhp from just a pulley and exhaust like everyone is saying? Is that 638 a "real" number or a wild rumor?

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
GTSpartan said:
So how did they achieve this 638rwhp from just a pulley and exhaust like everyone is saying? Is that 638 a "real" number or a wild rumor?
where did u hear that? I haven't heard anything of the such.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
It's been all over this site. Personally I think it's a wild rumor, with no real facts to back it up other than a bunch of people saying that their friends uncles brothers step father knows someone that saw it happen.

Link

Last edited:

snatchss454

Established Member
GTSpartan said:

So far its just a rumor. No Dyno sheet has been provided that I know of. Later they stated that it dynoed 489 minus emissions equipment.
I find it hard to beleive, if this is the stock setup, that they did a pulley swap. Which makes me very sceptical of the 638 number from just exhaust, cai and tune. Only time will tell.

Maybe this isnt the stock setup, maybe that configuration boasts 15psi...who knows.
Shane

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
638 is unrealistic from an eaton. I would say from the factory, 440 at the tires...w/ the basic bolt on's 575rwhp TOPS.

chuckstang

Established Member
"No Manley H-Beam rods. Looks like crappy hyperteutic stuff."
that is incorrect right? at least the part about them being hyperteutic crap

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
chuckstang said:
"No Manley H-Beam rods. Looks like crappy hyperteutic stuff."
that is incorrect right? at least the part about them being hyperteutic crap

There is no way that this motor will not come with forged rods

Fourcam330

Established Member
638 not 683

They are forged cracked I beams from Mahle, not PM. Like on the GTs the GT500 may require a blower cover/snout swap (evidently with a smaller diameter snout) to make more boost, big deal.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Dgussin said:
638 is unrealistic from an eaton. I would say from the factory, 440 at the tires...w/ the basic bolt on's 575rwhp TOPS.

We've been over this before. It's 122 CI vs. the 112 CI for the Terminator's eaton, and it also has Gen VI rotors (in the old case). It's entirely possible.

chuckstang

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
They are forged cracked I beams from Mahle, not PM. Like on the GTs the GT500 may require a blower cover/snout swap (evidently with a smaller diameter snout) to make more boost, big deal.
haha ya well what is all the fus about
if theres a will theres a way :shrug:
lol

Fourcam330

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
It's been all over this site. Personally I think it's a wild rumor, with no real facts to back it up other than a bunch of people saying that their friends uncles brothers step father knows someone that saw it happen.

Link

Prep your mouth, for your foot. :beer:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Prep your mouth, for your foot. :beer:

I will believe it when I see it ;-) :thumbsup:

I'm not counting all these custom engine builders with similar setups that have put down 600rw. Unless that eaton is a huge improvement, and I mean huge, I just don't see it putting out that kind of power on pump. The GT that we have been comparing it to IS a different engine, with a dry sump that adds HP, waaaay better blower, different cams, duel injectors, etc. To automatically assume that the GT500 will lay down the same is wrong. :beer:

Besides, with the looks of the pics, I don't se how you could possibly put a small enough pulley on the upper or lower to give you enough boost to hit 625+rwhp by "just" a "simple" pulley swap, exhaust and tune. I bet if that number is true there is a bunch more work that they didn't tell you about, like how did put a small enough pulley to give them the 18+ psi needed to hit that.

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
I will believe it when I see it ;-) :thumbsup:

I'm not counting all these custom engine builders with similar setups that have put down 600rw. Unless that eaton is a huge improvement, and I mean huge, I just don't see it putting out that kind of power on pump. The GT that we have been comparing it to IS a different engine, with a dry sump that adds HP, waaaay better blower, different cams, duel injectors, etc. To automatically assume that the GT500 will lay down the same is wrong. :beer:

No offense but this would be like me telling you what's up with a Viper motor :shrug:
First, find where I stated that the GT500 would make the same power as a GT motor? Of course it's going to make less, the thing is you have no idea how a full BPU (filters, tune, blower cover/pulley, full exhaust) GT will perform. For you to say otherwise at this point is comical being that there is no direct comparison data available (mod for mod) at this time. With what we have seen from graphs only posted on this site, 575rw from a 6psi pulley/tune alone, and 600rw on a MD or an easy 650+rw from a max effort pump gas pulley/tune alone, there's nothing to suggest 638rw isn't possible from the GT500 motor with max effort pump gas pulley/tune/full exhaust.
Dual injectors does shit for power, it was done for emissions reasons. The dry sump on the GT is worth 15-20rw over a wet sump oiliing system, and the difference in redline between the two motors is 250rpm--I've addressed the "different cams" issue in the 638rw thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread