Good chassis shop in SE?

Topless Vobra

Established Member
I'm looking to get through-the-floor subframe connectors and a custom rollbar installed in my '96 Cobra convertible. I'm in Nashville and am looking for a shop with knowledge of open-tracking vs. drag race needs and proper cage/rollbar design - any recommendations? Closest one I've found any info on is Izzy's Cages in St. Louis.

David Hester

Established Member
Scott Rhea is a good guy to deal with at Izzy's. I'm from Rhea County, and have used the name Rheacer Dave for close to 30 years. He was going to use it, till he searched and saw my name. We've talked several times over the years.
Check with Crawford Z Car Shop on State Street. He has road raced for years and could point you in the right direction. The folks out at Delk's might be able to help, although they are more into drag racing, I think. I've ran over there several times when I broke something at Nashville Speedway when we raced there. (just a couple of miles away from track).
Will Perry is a good friend and racer near me, if you want to head south. Has built a cage or 2 for me.
http://www.rivergate5speed.com/

Last edited:

Topless Vobra

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback. Lotsa drag racing around here, not so many road racers. I've run Nashville Superspeedway a few times in my G Coupe, shame they shut it down. Any thoughts on quality difference between Izzy's and Rivergate?

David Hester

Established Member
Do check with Crawford's.
I've seen pictures of Scott's work, but we crashed tested one of Will's cages.
Girlfriend at the time (wife now, yeah, I still married her ;^) ) totaled the car. It was rippled all the way back to the C pillar. Hillclimb in North Carolina 1995 or so. She walked away with a sore neck and shoulder belt bruises.
MustangCrash.jpg

Will did my cage in 2 Fox Bodies, don't know if he has ever done sub frames, but he has built several cars, including a class dominating rally car.

Last edited:

Topless Vobra

Established Member
Good real-world input. I hope to not crash-test anything, but good to know it would be up to the challenge. I'll check with Crawford's too.

Users who are viewing this thread