Good Deal?

shanesimps

Established Member
What are your thoughts?

I found a #480 93 Cobra, red with grey cloth, no sunroof and 45k miles. Pics he sent me make the Cobra look flawless (door panels, paint, rug etc. Only headers, exhaust have been modified. He is asking 15,500 and is local. I'd like to get it for 13,500 (I have been told he has had it for sale for over a year.

What do you think? What should I look for when I go check it out tomorrow? I also found a perfectly clean white 92 GT for 7K with 68K miles. Half the price, is the Cobra worth it?

Thanks for your help.

buddha93

Established Member
shanesimps said:
So for 14.5 I shouldn't complain?

In California, I'd say no. The grey cloth is a rarer interior option, as opposed to the Opal Leather..........just in case you weren't aware of that.

I'm not knocking the "regular" Fox cars, but hell ya, the Cobra is worth the extra cash. The first comment I usually hear from people: "Is that a real Cobra?", or "I've never actually seen one of these in person.".........it is kinda cool.:thumbsup:

mofugr

BIG DADDY
Established Member
If you've got the money then go for the Cobra. I was at a car show this weekend, I can't tell you how many people said the line, "is that a '93 Cobra"? You just don't see that many of them around.

ihateclowns

Established Member
shanesimps said:
OK, I guess I am willing to pay $14.5. What should I be looking for when I see it?

I always look for the VIN tags. You should see ten of them (if I'm wrong someone with more street cred will pick up my slack) and make sure they all match. They will be located on the hood, both fenders, the nose piece, both doors, both quarters, the hatch and the rear bumper. They will have a D code in them for the special Cobra motor. Also, the Cobras do not have cruise control or one of those pull down map lights.

Check the condition of the wheels because some of them would tend to peel from the factory. Make sure the upper intake is factory stock and not the reproduction with the Ford Racing plaque on it. Finally, Cobras and SVO's were the only Mustangs that had factory four wheel disc brakes on them, so look for those as well. There are other differences, but I can't think of any more you can see easily.

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
get a carfax to make sure the milage is correct(the dmv screwed up mine last time i registered), with 45k miles, check to see if its been repainted anywhere. for $15,500, it should be all original and or come with all original parts.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
1BAD93SVT said:
get a carfax to make sure the milage is correct(the dmv screwed up mine last time i registered), .

That's one of things that piss me off about Alabama. Once a car reaches a certain age, the mileage goes to exempt. You can talk to them until you are blue in the face and that they won't budge

I have a SVO with 47k miles that I can't prove because of these jackasses

shanesimps

Established Member
Yes, but he is a little hesitant because it is a Capitol One check and wants to verify it first. I gave him the number to call so we will see. I am also thinking if I should require him to smog it before the transaction. What do you think?

stangbear427

Established Member
shanesimps said:
I am also thinking if I should require him to smog it before the transaction. What do you think?
If it runs good and is bone stock (and has the factory H) it should pass with flying colors, even in CA. I wouldn't worry about it. Aftermarket cats, I wouldn't be so sure.

Mine is otherwise stock with headers and a cat-back, and the factory H; and (at 98,000mi) I've never seen a Mustang go through so clean.

racerbox77

Established Member
Congrats! Having a Cobra makes paying double the LX cost worth it. The car is soo rare most people when I tell them "ya its a real Cobra" look at me like Im lying. Ive even seen people look at the vin at shows.

Users who are viewing this thread