Good guy LEO; Curious what my charge would've been.

KushBandit

Established Member
Well, today I got pulled over for the first time in my Mustang....and it went much better than expected!

I was having a bad day today, and decided to take the 'Stang for a cruise down to the gas station to fill up, since I was under a 1/4 tank and didn't want to fill up the next morning.

Anyways, I was on my way back home when I approach an intersection near my house that I've always enjoyed sliding through when there are no nearby cars/pedestrians. I do my normal check over to see if anyone is around and proceed to throw the rear end around this corner, when I see the heart-stopping "Red and Blues", accompanied with a siren. Since in didn't see him initially, I assume he was exiting a near by neighborhood when I hit the corner.

I immediately pull over to the side, shut the engine off, throw the keys on the dash and put my hands on the wheel. The Officer approaches my driver window and asks "what was that all about?". I reply "just me doing something stupid". He asks for my license, if I'm on probation, then walks to his car. Comes back a second later asking if this is my car and wants the registration. I oblige.

A few moments later, the Officer returns my documents and tells me that a child had recently lost a ball over their fence, into the same street I had slid through, and was hit by an on coming car. He told me he didn't want to see me doing that again and went on his way. I say "thank you, have a nice day officer", knowing I just got a huge break.

I felt obligated to post this "nice cop" story, because I usually only see people talking negatively about LEOs. I'm curious though, what could I have been charged with and how lucky did I really get? We talking "hefty fine", or "arrested, impounded car and suspended license"? Would it have been something like "Reckless driving" or "Exhibition of Accelaration"?

I live in California. I had stopped at the light, made a right hand turn when I decided to break the tires loose mid turn and get the car up to about 60 mph in a 35 zone. I'm definitely going to keep this behavior at the track from now on.

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member
23103 (a) VC (M) and 23109 (c) VC (M) and a 30 day impound. Huge fines, and both can be charged as Misdemeanors for the start of a permanent criminal record. The fines on the violations would be high, but the 30 day impound would be the big hit. He hooked you up, be careful out there!

23103. (a) A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving.
23109. (c) A person shall not engage in a motor vehicle exhibition of speed on a highway, and a person shall not aid or abet in a motor vehicle exhibition of speed on any highway.

KushBandit

Established Member
23103 (a) VC (M) and 23109 (c) VC (M) and a 30 day impound. Huge fines, and both can be charged as Misdemeanors for the start of a permanent criminal record. The fines on the violations would be high, but the 30 day impound would be the big hit. He hooked you up, be careful out there!

Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for. I certainly looked out, and I was counting my blessings last night after that. I assume my clean record and my politeness went a long way.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Yea, Reckless Driving could have been the charge, gong to jail and car impounded. The next charge would be running over to the local Wal-mart to see what they charge for a new pair of drawers when those red/blues & siren came on...

zerpies

Established Member
Yea, Reckless Driving could have been the charge, gong to jail and car impounded. The next charge would be running over to the local Wal-mart to see what they charge for a new pair of drawers when those red/blues & siren came on...

That was lolz

00streetfighter

Established Member
See... Were all not that bad. Being a car guy myself, I've pulled lots of people over for their driving ventures and let them off with a warning and some "counseling" about where its appropriate to conduct such activities. :)

Users who are viewing this thread