Good or bad idea to have front rotors cut?

04silversnake

Established Member
I took the car to the dealer b/c the steering was shaking when the brakes were applied. Ttold me they were warped, and needed to be cut. Do you think it should be fine as long as they are to spec "thickness" ? or they should have been replaced.
thanks.

Phantom_LS2

bringing the pain!!!
Established Member
I'm pretty sure here that they don't "cut" your rotors? They turn them down. As far as I know it's ok to have them turned but you can only do it once. If you've got the money I'd go ahead and just get some new ones.

04silversnake

Established Member
yeah, I thought turn them down and cut them meant the same thing. they probably turn them down. I'll get new ones when its time for new pads.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
You can get OEM replacement rotors from Tirerack for the front for I think about $70 a side. I'm sure they meant they were going to "turn" them, not cut them down, even though they mean about the same thing.

KJ Hoppus

Black2k3svt
Established Member
are you also getting a vibration in the brake pedal?

Turning the rotors actually cuts a layer off so cutting the rotors and turning the rotors are the same thing.

04silversnake

Established Member
Have not noticed that. Dont think I did felt it in the pedal. I just picked the car from the dealer and its is fine. Not noticeable vibration anymore. I took a closed look at the rotors, and it look like they turn them a very thin layer, which its a good thing.
KJ Hoppus said:
are you also getting a vibration in the brake pedal?

Turning the rotors actually cuts a layer off so cutting the rotors and turning the rotors are the same thing.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Glad your problem is fixed...but don't be shocked if you pick up the same vibration after a few thousand miles. Machining (cutting/turning/etc) the rotors is sometimes a temporary fix and the problem will just come back. If it happens again, ask the dealer to replace the rotors, or just pick up some aftermarket replacements (like someone suggested from the Tire Rack).

Just curious... Did they fix the problem under warranty and how many miles are on your car?

-Greg

ralphy1798

Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
Glad your problem is fixed...but don't be shocked if you pick up the same vibration after a few thousand miles. Machining (cutting/turning/etc) the rotors is sometimes a temporary fix and the problem will just come back. If it happens again, ask the dealer to replace the rotors, or just pick up some aftermarket replacements (like someone suggested from the Tire Rack).

Just curious... Did they fix the problem under warranty and how many miles are on your car?

-Greg

TTT

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
on my 98 Vette, I had a problem with warping front rotors, the dealer turned them 4 times, (the 4th time they were too thin, and were replaced with new OEM rotors and pads) this happened right about 6K miles each time. Even with the new OEM rotors, about 6K miles they warped too.. (I wonder if taking it to 130+ and down to legal speeds all the time reasonably quickly had anything to do with it?)

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
They told me the rotors were getting too hot and warping, so I took it up to 140 to cool 'em off.

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
I would just replace them. The turned rotors are thinner and will tend to warp more easily next time they get hot.

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
Really rotors should be cut every time the brake pads are changed. If they are below spec, replace them. Same thing with the flywheel. It makes a big difference. If you are having warping problems, are you romping on the brakes real hard and then parking with car with the e-brake on without giving them time to cool? That will warp them.

Last edited:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
this was the case about 20 years ago but a modern rotor isnt made thick enough to take a cutting each time. it is very much not needed, and not recommended especially on our cars. our rotors are disposable. throw them away when you're done.

99.9995% of all "warped rotors" are not warped rotors but an uneven application of brake pad transfer film.

Oh Three Cobra said:
Really rotors should be cut every time the brake pads are changed. If they are below spec, replace them. Same thing with the flywheel. It makes a big difference. If you are having warping problems, are you romping on the brakes real hard and then parking with car with the e-brake on without giving them time to cool? That will warp them.

Users who are viewing this thread