Good Reading (about oil & filters)

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
Take this for what its worth guys. i just thought it was good reading. I got this from the zx-10r forums (my bike).

i recently changed my oil to the shell rotella t sythetic although i used 5w-40 instead of the 15w-40 used by bikes. i heard people on here attesting to thicker oils making there cobras run quieter and i have to admit, mine does now vs the 5w-20 noticably quieter.

i also changed my tranny fluid at the same time. i just grabbed 2 gallans of supertech (wal-mart brand) dextron III. i figured its gonna be all close to the same, besides someone makes it for walmart (dont know who), tranny wasnt shifting bad only 6k miles on the cobra just a maintnance thing. Anyway took 1 gallon exactly which was nice. if anyone wants to do there own. shifting is the same, oh and each gallon was under $5. so its dirt cheap reasurance.

i also changed the rear end fluid. i know its not supposed to need to be changed but i had gears recently installed and wanted to change out the break in fluid. i was surprized at the amount of metal on the fill plug (it has a magnet) i would defintaly recomend anyone to change this fluid out at around 15k miles after your gears are broke in. my fuid was black and nasty. Oh the rear end takes 75w 90 synthetic gear oil and one tube of friction modifier i got for free from a friend at ford:)

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
diff fluid

When I had my IRS out, the tag on the diff cover said 75w-140 synthetic only.

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
u might be right, i called and asked ford thats what they told me, ill check the manual. i didnt see any tag on mine.

if so i guess itll be getting a second fluid change already

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
thanks planb i just check it it 75w 140. i didnt wanna take my svt book out f the wrapper so i called ford. got the wrong info, now i gotta do it again and i had to take it out the wrapper anyway.

i wonder why rear end didnt have the sticker? my tranny has the dextron III only sticker.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
The tag on my diff cover was the very top bolt closest to the fuel tank. I wonder why there is no tag on you're cover.:??: :shrug:

a94cobra

Established Member
Are we talking about the metal tag on the diff cover? If so mine was on the bottom bolt.

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
i think when i had my gears installed the shop that did it removed the tag, its the only thing i can think of.

Users who are viewing this thread