Goodyear GS-D3 285/40/17. Opinions?

OverToad

Established Member
I'm putting 10.5"'s out back. I was going to keep the 275's all around, but I've cut a deal with a hellu-nice fellow Cobra owner here in Austin for the rims, and part of the deal is that he's going to get the 275 stockers for the rear of his '99 Cobra :thumbsup:

The deal literally works out fantastically for both of us, so the experiment of putting the 275's on the 10.5"s is going to have to be attempted by someone else, hehe.

Despite numerous statements about the Nitto 315's being fine, comments that I can shave down the bolt, or that I can use spacers, I always have followed the rule that if your hesitating on pulling the trigger, there's usually a good reason for it.
My personal hesitations deal less with the physical issues of these options, and more with how I would feel about the car while actually driving it. If I felt as though there was a risk by doing one of the above, I wouldn't fully enjoy driving the car under those circumstances, which defeats the ultimate purpose of having the car in the first place.

I don't believe that the 285/40/17's would have any clearance issue with the bolt, and I wouldn't have to use a spacer. The math says that it's about 1/3" taller, which isn't much of a difference.

This seems the right compromise for what I want, but I would appreciate any opinions :) I attempted to speak to several Tire companies on the phone, but they don't know the 03 Cobra like the people HERE know the 03 Cobra ;-)

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
See the info I PMd also.

The only thing is that I've hear from some of the Corvette guys that running a different width up front and rear changes the cornering characteristics.

I seriously doubt that a 285 rear and a 275 front would have any issues though.

Also if you are going wider in the front keep in mind the wider the tire the more bumpsteer.

Again, a change that small might not make any difference.

You know I personally want those model tires myself, so no disagreement there. :)

I've also contemplated the 285 vs 275 question... I just don't have to answer it yet.

OverToad

Established Member
I actually haven't considered the handling aspect much, but now that you mention it, that lends more favor to the 285's versus the 315's.
Not being a track guy, I don't want to sacrifice the feel of the car as a daily driver.

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by OverToad
I'm putting 10.5"'s out back.

I don't believe that the 285/40/17's would have any clearance issue with the bolt, and I wouldn't have to use a spacer. The math says that it's about 1/3" taller, which isn't much of a difference.

PM your email address and I will send you pics of the 285/40/17s on the AFS 17x10.5" wheel. You will not have any issues. I ran them until my 315s came in.

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Re: Re: Goodyear GS-D3 285/40/17. Opinions?

Originally posted by Bingo13
PM your email address and I will send you pics of the 285/40/17s on the AFS 17x10.5" wheel. You will not have any issues. I ran them until my 315s came in.

Bingo13
So, how about a little compare and contrast between the two? If you already did that and I missed it, just point me to it...
thanks
JW

Bingo13

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Goodyear GS-D3 285/40/17. Opinions?

Originally posted by jhwalker
Bingo13
So, how about a little compare and contrast between the two? If you already did that and I missed it, just point me to it...
thanks
JW

Let me get the old pics back up on my website and I will post once they are available.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by OverToad
I've cut a deal with a hellu-nice fellow Cobra owner here in Austin for the rims, and part of the deal is that he's going to get the 275 stockers for the rear of his '99 Cobra :thumbsup:

So that's where John's getting his rims from. ;-)

OverToad

Established Member
Bingo, thanks for the pics :thumbsup:

'Racy, your eye see's all! John has a Hellu-nice '99. I have complete faith that he'll turn those 275's into scrap in no time ;-)

Randy and Black, the 275's will fit on 10.5's, so why not 285's :shrug:
With the Nitto's, as narrow as they are, the space between the bolt is uncomfortably close. One good jump over an unseen railroad track and I'm in the ditch.

EDIT:

Perhaps I should clarify that I've not had my car to the track, and don't really plan on it. It's a street car in my hands ;-) Bingo shot me a few pics, and they looked fine.......a little better than fine, actually ;-)
Since my intentions aren't for the track, what's the prob with 285's on a 10.5" rim?
Not being combative or argumentitive, just asking.

Last edited:

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Toad - I do understand that the 275/40-17 specs say you can put them on an 8.5 to 11" rim, so by that, yes, they "fit". But you'd have a heck of a sidewall angle leaning inward from the rim to the tread. One thing I don't like about that is, if you ever came in contact w/ a curb, your wheel would be toast. I like to see just a little bit of tire bulge so that if you did nudge a curb, you'ld just bump the tire and no harm done. Plus looks wise, I think anything wider than a 9-9.5" wheel with a 275 on it just wouldn't look good IMO. But if you only want a tire that wide, why go to the wider rim, anyways? (Just curious.)

I've been meaning to put a straight edge across my AFS 17x10.5's with the Nitto 315s on there, but the sidewall looks almost flush with the outer edge of the lip on the wheel. So I'm gonna have to be careful not to bump any curbs! ;)

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
315 35 17 nitto's on my 03 cobra stock rims
Great for Drag Racing and cruising on the street..not the perfect setup for road racing...but really not that bad compared to the BFG's
Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com
2003 Cobra DSG(20 lbs of boost and nitrous)
P1020026.jpg

Last edited:

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Looks like a new set there, Harry. Bet they don't last too long on your car!

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
LOL!!! Those are pics from when I first put them on... I know I will go through them though :D And yes they are big...but you dont really notice until you look at it from behind. I dont get too many people trying to race me. Most of the time I will fly out of the hole, only to learn the guy in a vette or f body isnt even trying. Sucks at times :mj: :D

Harry

Last edited:

docs03

Established Member
HotRodHarry

Do you have a pic of the tires from a little more from the rear? I want to see how much the tire sticks out from the fender lip. Can't really see it on the picture you posted

Thanks
doc

Users who are viewing this thread