Google Stock Split

Adower

Established Member
Does this mean you have to be in it already to get in at split?

Or just to be a part of split
You have to own any shares of google prior to July 1st. Whatever you own prior to July 1st will then be split 20:1.

After the 15th, anyone can buy and it will be at the lower price.

Also just because it is splitting does not mean you're making money. For example

1 Share = $2,000
If it splits 20:1
You'll have 20 shares @ 100$

You still have $2000 invested.

If you look @ Tesla which split either 2020 or last year. A share went from ~3K to 400$ and is already back at around 900$ or so.

Last edited:

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, let's revisit this two weeks from split and see if that holds true.

The benefit would occur at the announcement not when the split occurs. It is already fully priced in when it occurs because guys like me that run huge amounts of institutional capital understand this.

See also:
Share price after dividend announcement
Share price after merger announcement
Share price after index rebalancing
etc
etc

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
You have to own any shares of google prior to July 1st. Whatever you own prior to July 1st will then be split 20:1.

After the 15th, anyone can buy and it will be at the lower price.

That’s what I assumed I was apart of the NAKD split and got ****ed on that one lol

quad

Established Member
I think you took my question very defensively toward Crypto vs normal stocks.

I was purely curious.

No, you can buy at the split.

I think so.
And I acknowledged that the price would tank, as would any asset where a large holder cashes out. Would it break Shiba? No. But the price would correct downwards massively.

Adower

Established Member
The benefit would occur at the announcement not when the split occurs. It is already fully priced in when it occurs because guys like me that run huge amounts of institutional capital understand this.

See also:
etc
etc
Yes, I agree. However, I believe that once a stock is up to $3K per share like google its tough to see it keep climbing. If it drops down to 150$ I feel like it can surge again.

quad

Established Member
absolutely… I’m thinking of putting it allllll into it.

At the end of the day.. unfortunately google is lord overseer…. Sooooo
For now. The younger generation prefer crypto over stocks and gold. Per Vitalik Buterin - gold is lame lol! I half joked about profiting off the social media platforms by investing in them. But now I am thinking **** them. I'd rather put my money somewhere else than support them by buying their stocks. Cryptos are more risky at the moment I agree. But with more risk comes the possibility of greater reward.

That being said I am sure you'll do well buying some google stock.

Adower

Established Member
For now. The younger generation prefer crypto over stocks and gold. Per Vitalik Buterin - gold is lame lol! I half joked about profiting off the social media platforms by investing in them. But now I am thinking **** them. I'd rather put my money somewhere else than support them by buying their stocks. Cryptos are more risky at the moment I agree. But with more risk comes the possibility of greater reward.

That being said I am sure you'll do well buying some google stock.

I'm too old to understand crypto lol.

quad

Established Member
Yes, I agree. However, I believe that once a stock is up to $3K per share like google its tough to see it keep climbing. If it drops down to 150$ I feel like it can surge again.
Except Bitcoin. $3000 BTC now looks cheap compared to $40,000 BTC lol!

But I agree splitting stock is a nice way for companies to get more investors onboard.

quad

Established Member
I'm too old to understand crypto lol.
You don't have to understand it all. Some people buy Google stock and probably can't turn on a computer. Do you know everything about the companies you invest in?

Here is a simple video that explains the basics of a blockchain.

Adower

Established Member
Except Bitcoin. $3000 BTC now looks cheap compared to $40,000 BTC lol!

But I agree splitting stock is a nice way for companies to get more investors onboard.
Agree. I don't follow BTC, but I feel like at 40K BTC your average joe isn't buying it. Shoot at 3K per google share I wasn't even touching it lol.

quad

Established Member
Any benefit to share price performance would occur on the announcement not when the split occurs.
Don't you think the price will pump from now until before the split as people rush to get more shares before the July 1st deadline?

quad

Established Member
Agree. I don't follow BTC, but I feel like at 40K BTC your average joe isn't buying it. Shoot at 3K per google share I wasn't even touching it lol.
Some people dollar cost average into BTC. They buy $50 worth per week.

I spent around $12,500 cash in 2017-2018 to buy into some cryptos.

Since then I have been dollar cost averaging into Ethereum by mining it. I pay an electrical bill and the house is heated by the rigs. In turn I receive Ethereum payouts into my Coinbase account. But the payments could be made to any Ethereum wallet.

Initially it cost less than $150 in electrical usage to earn 1 Ethereum. Now the cost is about $1300-1400 in electrical usage to earn 1 Ethereum - it fluctuates though and depends on local electrical rates. Ours are on the high side. Commercial rates are also less than residential. But the rigs heat the house so our natural gas usage is lower since the furnace does not have to run as much. I am probably doing better than $1300 per Ethereum when the heating factor is added into the equation. I would say around $1000-1100 per Ethereum in my case.

However that's still over half off the price of buying Ethereum on an exchange.

I used a few wallets over the years but eventually settled on my Coinbase wallet. I also have crypto holdings at Binance where I will make a trade occasionally. And I will have to pay capital gains taxes this year on those trades.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

See also:
etc
etc

Klaus,

When I say a lower stock price brings more people to the plate...I'm not talking about people like you.

I'm talking about the people that aren't as educated on stock trading and they see Google shares at $XXX per, and decide they want to jump in.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Don't you think the price will pump from now until before the split as people rush to get more shares before the July 1st deadline?

No. That already happened. Here is GOOG vs. S&P Tech over the last 5 days. Black is GOOG, blue is S&P tech sector. That pop is the announcement. Share prices respond to announcement of the event not the event itself. All that will happen on the day of the split is that the share price will be divided by 20. Thats it.

1644012960312.png

Here is the same graph over 5 years. If you would have invested $1 in GOOG you would have $2.58. If you bought an S&P tech sector ETF you would have $2.32. LMFAO if you think it is going up 10x in the first week @13COBRA considering it is only up 2x in 5 years in the craziest market in our lifetime.

1644013060753.png

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Klaus,

When I say a lower stock price brings more people to the plate...I'm not talking about people like you.

I'm talking about the people that aren't as educated on stock trading and they see Google shares at $XXX per, and decide they want to jump in.

Most brokerages already allow for fractional share purchase. Price is not a hindrance to share purchase.

1644013656417.png

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Most brokerages already allow for fractional share purchase. Price is not a hindrance to share purchase.

View attachment 1736723

Ok. We'll see in July!

I'll be the first to admit saying it would 10x in a week was lofty. I do think the yield will be more than it would be before the split. Time will tell. I have no problem being wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread