GoPro options

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, I need some advice. I'm thinking about getting a gopro type camera but I don't need cinema quality results. I'm not adverse to spending money, but I don't want to blow cash on something that gives me 1000 features that I won't use. What is out there that you guys like?

Kiohtee

Established Member
I had a GoPro HD HERO2. It worked great and recorded in 1080p. It went tumbling at 100+ with me in my wreck without getting damaged. Sold it to a friend who is still using it today.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Are you going to be recording at night? I have a cheapy action cam that records awesome in the daytime, but night quality it struggles.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I just bought a Hero+ LCD which is the newest camera that Go Pro makes. Gave it to my brother for his birthday and he absolutely loves it. The LCD screen on the back is the best reason as to why i went with it over the other Hero models. Without the LCD screen you cant really tell what you are shooting, even with the wide lens. It will more than likely get everything that you want to get in the shot but its nice to check it out after you have taken the photo or footage.

I will say i did see the new cube one from Go Pro and it was extremely small. I was shocked that it was still a camera. Its ridiculously small compared to the regular Hero models.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Buy an old one of CL... don't wast money on a new one if all you want to be able to do is attach something to your car and record. I wouldn't get a first gen (bad lighting), but the 2nd generation would be PERFECT for what you need without spending a few extra hundred dollars on a new one.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I just bought a Hero+ LCD which is the newest camera that Go Pro makes. Gave it to my brother for his birthday and he absolutely loves it. The LCD screen on the back is the best reason as to why i went with it over the other Hero models. Without the LCD screen you cant really tell what you are shooting, even with the wide lens. It will more than likely get everything that you want to get in the shot but its nice to check it out after you have taken the photo or footage.

I will say i did see the new cube one from Go Pro and it was extremely small. I was shocked that it was still a camera. Its ridiculously small compared to the regular Hero models.

The newest offering from GoPro is the "GoPro Session 4". It does not have an rear LCD screen. The regular GoPro 4 does have a rear LCD screen and the GoPro 3+ has an optional LCD backpack.

U.M.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I bought a used GoPro Hero 3+ Black off craigslist with all the mounts, charger, two batteries, for $250. Get the app for your phone to preview and mess with the settings and you're good to go! You can google "gopro model comparison" and get tons of lists that compare all the features. I like the 3+ black because it can do 1080p at 60FPS.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
^ That's a pretty damn good purchase. I have the same exact camera but I purchased it for full price. Op, if I were you, I'd look into the new Hero 4.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
The newest offering from GoPro is the "GoPro Session 4". It does not have an rear LCD screen. The regular GoPro 4 does have a rear LCD screen and the GoPro 3+ has an optional LCD backpack.

U.M.

100% sure it was called the Hero + LCD. It isnt the 4. Its at the bottom of their product page. It was the the newest "Hero" model at the time. I see the added the silver and black versions of the Hero 4 also.

Blown 89

Established Member
Watch www.techbargains.com and www.slickdeals.net for deals. They pop up all the time if you want a new one.

I'm all for used deal though. A lot of people get Gopros and use them so infrequently they get rid of them.

I have the white and black versions of the 3+. Both are great. The black has more options for color correction and has better video but a few minutes in post and I can balance out the colors so that they look identical. In most cases I'd say the cheaper versions are better for 99% of buyers. The white has longer battery life so I grab it for track sessions more often because of that.

Last edited:

BME

KING
Established Member

U.M.

Only the silver has the LCD screen. The hero 4 black does not.

Search craigslist OP. I picked up a 3+ Silver on there a while back for $40. Then I bought a 4 Silver with chesty, suction cup, extra battery and dual charger, and other misc mounts for $200. Ended up trading the 3+ for a set of Forgestar F14's

Riptide

Established Member
I've been watching craigslist locally for a good deal on a 3+ silver but I can't find anything unfortunately. There was a 3+ black edition last week with some accessories and the guy wouldn't take less than asking price of $300.

Gopro jacked the cost up on the new 4 series which has kept the downward price pressure off the 3 series somewhat. Rather inconvenient.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Got the Hero with LCD, thanks guys for the input.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I bought a used GoPro Hero 3+ Black off craigslist with all the mounts, charger, two batteries, for $250. Get the app for your phone to preview and mess with the settings and you're good to go! You can google "gopro model comparison" and get tons of lists that compare all the features. I like the 3+ black because it can do 1080p at 60FPS.

I got that one too. I bought it brand new, but with a twice. I found a valid 20% code for a company that offered free shipping and a free 32gb memory card. So I paid like $320. Then Sports Authority had a 20% code that didn't exclude GoPros. I bought two more and sold them at retail on craigslist, so all in all I only paid like $150 for my Hero 3+ :)

Never_Enough

Established Member
I'm looking for a Gen2 Motorsports Editon used myself. I don't need fancy either. Just wanna do some car vids. Can't justify $200+ for one.

Speedboosted

Established Member
I bought a used Hero 3 black last summer for $150! Thing works great and I love it, but only use it for racing. I find myself sometimes wanting to sell it, then the next minute I'm looking for another one to record different angles while racing lol. A used Hero 3 or 3+ can be had all day for $250 or even less, I'd say go that route.

Users who are viewing this thread