Got a retune

stangfreak

Established Member
Today I retuned my car on ms109E since NY can't sell gas with MTBE. The 109E was a few octane less than regular 109 so I dropped the boost. I went back to the original pulley setup. 3.5 upper 4lb lower. 2.9 whipple standard inlet.

The very first time we tuned it, it made 710rwhp 650rwtq. I upped the boost with a 3.25 upper 4lb lower. car gained nothing. The tq curve was flat. No gains. But on the street it was snappier. went back down again today as stated with the 3.5 upper and made 706rwhp 636rwtq. It seems the numbers just keep going down. Today was 28 degrees. since it was cold I saw I think 23-24lbs.

My car since day one for 13 years has been a under achiever. It never made stout numbers for its combo. There are times I want to sell the car but I dont want to give the owner a headache or a low number car.

I was going to do the crusher but I will just get disappointed because I know my car wont make the power it should. I think I am going to just take that money and get a T56 magnum. Make it shift better and smoother. Then run the car until the motor blows up and start from scratch.

MG0h3

Established Member
Sure its not just the dyno? Pretty sure ive seen others report similar numbers on 23psi.

ctgreddy

Established Member
Know how much timing is in it? I have a buddy running same pulley/blower setup that makes 740 on e85. Depending on timing with the race gas your car might be right where it should be.

stangfreak

Established Member
The good thing is, my tq curve looks normal again. with the 3.25 upper 4lb lower the tq curve looked flat. No arc. I think we were really over spinning that blower.

Timing was set at 22 degrees. No idea how I lost 20ft lbs of tq in this crazy cold weather we had.

you guys think I should go with bigger exhaust? x pipe instead of prochamber?

ctgreddy

Established Member
What's the rest of the exhaust consist of?

Assuming a 6800 redline the 3.25/4lb combo put it right at max rpm for a 2.9, so not quite overspinning it but it might not have been happy there.

22 degrees sounds good for timing, it seems like a lot of differences for torque come into how aggressively the timing comes in. If he ramped timing in slow then that makes sense for the low torque number. Atleast that's how it's always been explained to me.

stangfreak

Established Member
I got mac 1 5/8 long tubes headers, off road prochamber and a mac catback. I was thinking of doing 1 7/8 long tubes with the 3 inch xpipe which connects to the mac catback. so it wont be a true 3 inch exhaust all the way back.

whipple told me 3.25 4lb I was over the max whipple told me and he said to bring it back down. I said to him, whats the point of making a big blower and I wont be able to at least run 25lbs lol. He gave me no answer.

stangfreak

Established Member
yea Im done trying to make power with the car. Im going to do the magnum instead. Maybe pick up a fox or a sn95 car. No emissions needed, I can do whatever I want with the car. I am kind of tired with these small motors anyways. 281, 302. Other car I want to build will have a big cubic inch motor, automatic, twins. cobra will stay as is and just enjoy the car. Iv had it since 2003 lol

stangfreak

Established Member
when I get the transmission out of the car im going to sell my t56 REALLY CHEAP just to get rid of it

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
You only lost 14rwtq. I would not even consider that a loss.

Different day, different conditions. Heck just air pressure in the tires, how tight you strap it to the rollers and how it is placed on the rollers will alter dyno #s. Nothing is wrong with the car. You are right inline on where it should be. I would say that it is actually very consistent. Only a 4hp/14tq difference is really good. Don't compare it to other peoples dyno #s, every dyno is different. Calibrations, correction factors etc, there is way too many variables that come in to play to dyno race.....

stangfreak

Established Member
Your right dave. I agree 100%. I need to race a few people and see how the car performs. Or borrow a trailer and hit the track.

Dave, your one of the pioneers for these cars and I have been talking to you for years. Your opinion, is it worth going with 1 7/8 long tubes to a 3 inch x pipe bolting on to your standard 2.5 inch catback. Basically the american racing header setup that everyone does. I got mac 1 5/8 long tubes with a prochamber.

stangfreak

Established Member
lol isn't it sad that 700rwhp is like eh now a days. when I was making 510rwhp with a ported eaton years ago I was out racing everyone and thought I was the shit haha

Users who are viewing this thread