Got a ticket...

Sith

Banned
9 mph over the speed limit on the highway at 2:20 am....

Anyway the cop said he caught up to me to determinte my speed, so I'm assuming he didn't get me on radar. My question is, is this method allowed by the law?

I plan on contesting it, I really can't afford the insurance hike. Any chance of convincing them to drop the charges to a non moving violation and pay a fine, and when should I try to get this option?

TurdFerguson

Scumbag
Established Member
most (if not all) police officers have a calibrated speedometer. so their speed is like exactly correct. thats usually what they are doing when they tailgate you, that and checking your plates. but since its only 9 over and i believe thats the first level of speeding 1-9mph over (right?) i would try to plead not guilty and see if they'll drop it down to a non point violation.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Aren't they supposed to tail you for a certain distance? And having had an EX-FHP mustang I'd just like to say I bought the car from them with a "certified speedometer" that read 11 mph slow. And that was before I did anything.

They are still allowed to be 1-2% off in their speed reading. Just a little less than the allowed tollerance for standard cars.

Being O-town who nailed you? It shouldn't raise your insurance. I've gotten one for 9 over before and it didn't do anything. Just take the comedy class and move on.

Matt

Sith

Banned
I can't take the class because I took it last June and you have to wait 12 months I believe.

I'm just wondering who I should ask to reduce it to a non moving violation (and pay the fine, obviously) and when I should do it.

BTW it's still a 3 point offense even going 9 mph over.

TurdFerguson

Scumbag
Established Member
in jersey its a 2 point. on your ticket it will tell you if you plan to plead not guilty then you have to call the court and tell them you are going to do so, then hopefully on that date the cop wont be a dick and he'll maybe let you go on a different charge, you pay the fine i guess that day and be on your way.

Sith

Banned
TurdFerguson said:
then hopefully on that date the cop wont be a dick and he'll maybe let you go on a different charge, you pay the fine i guess that day and be on your way.

So what do I do go up to him in court before trial and ask him?

TurdFerguson

Scumbag
Established Member
in court there will be a prosecutor...the judge should ask you "what do you plead" you say not guilty...and presumably the prosecutor will come over and discuss a lesser charge to you. maybe he wont but at least that is what happened to a friend...he went to court, and he said not guilty and then the prosecutor came to him and discussed with him what his options were as in...pleading guilty to a lesser charge.

and i'll let you know in like 2 weeks (i got to court on th 12th), just got a ticket for 48 in a 30. pleading not guilty hopefully they'll reduce the charge so i dont get 4 points.

Sith

Banned
Yeah I'm hoping I can get a non-moving violation, the ticket was bullcrap to begin with. Make no mistake this wasn't me going 20 mph over and the ticket got reduced, it was 10 mph over and he reduced it to 9. At 2:20 AM on the highway. I'm not so sure he clocked me he prolly got mad cause i got in front of him because I had to merge (lane ended) right before a tollbooth. Kinda hard to "catch up" to me when i DOWNSHIFT and cruise to through the tollbooth...

Users who are viewing this thread