Got a ticket

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
Just kidding about the icon for the thread!!

Situation: Driving down to The Ohio State University last Friday evening. Was about 10:30PM, light traffic, clear weather with dry roads. Cruising along at 70MPH in a 65MPH zone on I-71. Highway is 3 lanes wide, with me being in the center lane. Durango goes flying by doing what I estimated to be 75 or 80MPH, so I figure "What the hell? Might as well speed up and get to OSU and drink this case of Budweiser sitting on my floor sooner!! :rockon: ". No sooner than I reach pacing speed with the Durango I look to my left and see an LEO in the median. Durango slams on brakes, switches to far right lane. Me, about 9-10 car lengths back slow down mildly as to not appear more obvious to the LEO I am speeding.

LEO pulls out, and my gut starts churning. One, I'm cussing myself out for being so retarded. Two, I knew if I got a ticket it would be my first one in 5 years which is sooner than I wanted one. LEO comes to speed on highway, passing the Durango. I knew I was toast. Comes up in the far left lane, me in the middle, pacing me in my blind spot. Flips his lights on, throws the spotlight on my mirrors (at more than 45MPH which I believed was somewhat rude and dangerous, how does he know it won't blind me and cause me to have an accident? But I digress), so I pull over.

He comes up and says "Hello and good evening. Do you know why I pulled you over?" I say "Hi Sir, more than likely for speeding, correct?" Him "Yes, you were going a bit fast. I got you with laser doing 77MPH". Me "Sorry sir". Him "I need to see your license, registration, proof of insurance". Me "Yes sir, of course. My insurance and registration are in my locked glovebox. I will be reaching for it now (to be respectful for his safety)". He asks why I have a minor issued license when I am 22 years of age and sees my case of beer. He figures I am a minor and/or my license is fake. I tell him the story about my license and of course he verifies my age and all. He then asks "When was the last time you received a speeding ticket?" I say (this is the truth) "5 years". He tells me I will be receiving a ticket and returns to his cruiser. Comes back with ticket and another officer who was riding with him. Check my window tint and tells me both my license plate lights are out. He did not cite me for those 2 offenses, which I am grateful. Signed the ticket and we both gave our "Have a nice night" salutations.

The reason I post this is due to the amount of people who hate law enforcement. This officer was practical, nice, and respectful of me AND the law he is paid to enforce. He was more than fair, and I received the correct punishment for being a bonehead. I am a college student and money is relatively tight for me, however, I chose to speed and sometimes you have to pay to play. This was one of those times. The general misconception is "cops suck and get off writing tickets". Well, neither is true and officers like the one who stopped me do exist and are very kind to the public.

So a big thanks goes out to all you LEO's. You are appreciated, even when the public gets something they don't want.

BTW, I drank that case of beer a little faster and each beer helped me forget getting that ticket, lol!!

:beer:

FranticFocus05

Established Member
Glad to hear you got off with just the speeding ticket. They do catch alot of crap from peple but there just doing there job.

When I got my 97 in a 35 speeding ticket I shook the cops hand before getting back in my car and on my court date I even talked to him after court he was a decent guy just doing his job. Told him I was sorry for taking his time and I learned my lesson... :poke: first one and a big one... I learned.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
95oRANGEcRUSH said:
Flips his lights on, throws the spotlight on my mirrors (at more than 45MPH which I believed was somewhat rude and dangerous, how does he know it won't blind me and cause me to have an accident? But I digress), so I pull over.

I had that done to me once. It blinded me so bad, I almost ran off the road.

Request to LEO's: Please don't do the spotlight thing on the mirrors unless you have reason to suspect we don't see you. It blinds us and causes a dangerous situation.

sharkattack

2003 Cobra Silver
Established Member
Funny. Seeing those red and blue lights come on in your rearview is always gut wrenching. Even being a Police Officer for the last 11 years, still makes my guts turn.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
sharkattack said:
Funny. Seeing those red and blue lights come on in your rearview is always gut wrenching. Even being a Police Officer for the last 11 years, still makes my guts turn.

+65,000!!!

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
Good post. I felt the same way when I got my Carpool lane ticket. It was my own dumb fault, and the officer who cited me was very nice about it. The Exhibition of Speed I got 2 hours later was a polar opposite though...

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
NyteByte said:

Request to LEO's: Please don't do the spotlight thing on the mirrors unless you have reason to suspect we don't see you. It blinds us and causes a dangerous situation.

I definitely feel you on this. I've been pulled over twice in the past week and a half. Both times the officer used the spotlight and blinded the hell out of me. First time, he left it on after I stopped and I could hardly see to get my registration out of the center console.

I also agree on the courteous officer thing. The first time I was pulled over a week or so ago, I was following a friend in his Evo at around 11pm, who was flying around an on ramp and onto a highway (awesome handling and he puts it to use). Officer came up and told me I was goin a bit fast (probably around 90 or so, no traffic anywhere on the 4 lane hwy or the on ramp) and I explained how I was following a friend and didn't know where I was going. He started asking me about the car and what I had done to it, saying he had a 99 stang he was working on. Dunno how I got so lucky but ended up getting just a verbal warning to 'stay outta the gas' and have a good night.

Wasn't so lucky with the second cop but he didn't radar me so I got a small fine and a point. But yeah, people always hate cops for writing citations and costing them money, but I guess its just their job and they are only protecting you and others. Sometimes you just gotta pay the price for your actions. :poke:

MARK C

Established Member
NyteByte said:

I hate that as well............but we do have power mirrors!!!

Users who are viewing this thread