Got a trade offer on my car, 87 GN....opinions?

sprusak1

G.R.E.A.D tuned
Established Member
Yesterday a guy sent me a PM asking if I was interested in a trade for his 87 grand National (one of my all time favorite cars BTW). 4.1 block, 77mm turbo, complete fuel system, built 9" rear, built 400 trans with trans brake, wilwood discs all around. Runs mid 10's on pump gas.

Quick rundown on the mutt:
Drive train:
04 Cobra motor 20k
KB 2.4
60 lb/hr injectors
LFP SBTB
jlt rai
aeromotive fuel system
Magnaflow catback
Bassanni uncatted x-pipe

Trans:
T56 w/spec 3
MGW orange handle
hurst shift knob
ups quadrant
steeda fire wall adjuster

Front suspension:
Bilstien struts
04 Cobra a-arms
Cobra brakes
Roush springs

Rear end:
Mach 1 rear axle, welded and braced
Mach 1 brakes
Tokico shocks
Solid upper and lower control arms w/brand new bushings
Roush springs

Exterior:
Fresh pepper gray metallic paint
3" cowl hood
MRT hood struts
01 Cobra front bumper
Mach 1 chin spoiler
Shaved rear spoiler
18" chrome Saleen's

Interior:
03 Cobra dash pad
03 Cobra console and radio bezel
Battery relocated to the trunk
Front racing seats on fox seat tracks
In-dash Pioneer 7" radio/tv/DVD player w/ipod hookup, and bluetooth

Last edited:

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Ask him if the 4.1 is a stage block. If he say's that it isn't ask what crank, rods, pistons he used to build the 4.1.

streetknight2

Established Member
Sounds like a killer car. I have the 03' Cobra and an 86' Buick T Type. I'd hate to sell either, but the Cobra would go first more than likely. I just hope it never comes to that.

sprusak1

G.R.E.A.D tuned
Established Member
Ask him if the 4.1 is a stage block. If he say's that it isn't ask what crank, rods, pistons he used to build the 4.1.

4.1 after market block
m&a heads
bg custom intake
71 mm persion turbo
je pistons
cunningham rods
95# injectors

moser 9in
4 wheel disc brakes (wilwood)
350 gears
spool

400 turbo
4200 converter
reverse manual valve body
trans brake

magnaflow 3in exhaust

classic fast system with laptop

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Sounds like a well set up car.
Is he running alky or straight pump of the mid 10 tune?

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
imo I'd keep the cobra. just thinking rather keep a 7 year old car (especially with your time & mods invested) instead getting involved with 25 year old car

dont get me wrong i love a nice GN as much as the next guy here but unless it was a sweet low mileage original GNX (which would never happen) i would not even consider trading my car for someone else's project. just never know

but then again if your bored with your car and see an opportunity then go for it but somehow does not sound like that scenario

sprusak1

G.R.E.A.D tuned
Established Member
imo I'd keep the cobra. just thinking rather keep a 7 year old car (especially with your time & mods invested) instead getting involved with 25 year old car

dont get me wrong i love a nice GN as much as the next guy here but unless it was a sweet low mileage original GNX (which would never happen) i would not even consider trading my car for someone else's project. just never know

but then again if your bored with your car and see an opportunity then go for it but somehow does not sound like that scenario

This is the problem I'm having, my car will run about the same 1/4 times, looks as good, and has better interior and honestly, I could drive it to California and back. While the GN may be a bit quicker, it's not really driver friendly with the spool, no heat or A/C, no wipers, etc.

02reaper

Established Member

I agree.

03COBRA-88

Established Member
Keep your mustang. You invested alot of time in and you have no idea how the other car was built or how bad it has been abused.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Tough call as the GN is a straight line brawler, but in the end may be worth more than the car you have put together. Interesting offer though.

VincodeY

Established Member
I dont doubt the GN will be worth more money in the long run. But, do you really wanna give up a car you can drive anywhere, anytime...that is just as fast and has the potential of becoming a valuable car..for "someone else's project?"

sprusak1

G.R.E.A.D tuned
Established Member
Oh, the GN will surely be worth more in the long run. My car's simply a GT with a cobra swap. I do love my car though, but I've always wanted a GN. I'm looking into wha it's going to take to make the GN a little less straight line oriented and a little more street friendly.

deec73

Established Member
This is the problem I'm having, my car will run about the same 1/4 times, looks as good, and has better interior and honestly, I could drive it to California and back. While the GN may be a bit quicker, it's not really driver friendly with the spool, no heat or A/C, no wipers, etc.

I love both cars. :)

Last edited:

key

Established Member
Oh, the GN will surely be worth more in the long run. My car's simply a GT with a cobra swap.

Just IMO.. but a GT with a Cobra swap is... a GT. There's nothing like owning the real thing. The GN is, and always will be the real thing.

I think I'd swap if I were you.

Users who are viewing this thread