Got an idea for an interior mod.

Pushrodsnake

Back in Black
Established Member
After the successful paint job I managed to get on the arm rest pad for my new console...
DSCN0833.gif

I got to thinking about whether or not I could also successfully paint a steering wheel. I personally love the style of the FR500 steering wheel, but it only comes in black. The only real difference is that the arm rest pad is made of vinyl, but the steering wheel is wrapped in leather. Do you think the vinyl paint I used on the arm rest pad (still have plenty left) would work on leather? Anyone have any experience with this? :shrug:

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
I wouldnt paint the leather.. Its too much of a wear spot... The center console or dash is fine because it doesnt get that much action.

Pushrodsnake

Back in Black
Established Member
I'd thought about that, too. Not sure how I would dye the steering wheel, though. Oh well. :)

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
I'd thought about that, too. Not sure how I would dye the steering wheel, though. Oh well. :)

Google that shit!

All the supplies are publickly available, and there's a world of information out there. Even some Youtube videos and such...

You can doooo it!

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Well, I don't know what you used for the arm pad, but all the vinyl products I restored for my fox were dye'd. I hit them with spray dye from 50resto, and that stuff is tough. I tried to scrape it off on a practice piece, and I wasn't able to do it. They may make leather dye too, I'm not sure.

If you find out though, let me know, my BMW has a few spots that could use re-dyed.

Pushrodsnake

Back in Black
Established Member
Google that shit!

All the supplies are publickly available, and there's a world of information out there. Even some Youtube videos and such...

You can doooo it!
Google saves the day!

Well, I don't know what you used for the arm pad, but all the vinyl products I restored for my fox were dye'd. I hit them with spray dye from 50resto, and that stuff is tough. I tried to scrape it off on a practice piece, and I wasn't able to do it. They may make leather dye too, I'm not sure.

If you find out though, let me know, my BMW has a few spots that could use re-dyed.

I used the same 50resto stuff. It really worked great on the pad.

I found a place that sells a recoloring kit for $50.

Scroll down the list and they have a lot of different colors including '94-'98 saddle.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
tell me what you figure out, I am changing my interior from saddle to black, so I have to do the opposite of what you're doing lol

Pushrodsnake

Back in Black
Established Member
Will do. I went ahead and ordered that kit, which was about $58 with shipping. I'll probably order the steering wheel soon, too. I'll probably see about doing a how-to if it turns out good.

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
I'm doing the FR500 wheel sooner or later, but I have the shift boot and e-brake boot from redline. I think if I covered the arm rest it would be in similar black fashion. I forget the link to the old site I used.

Pushrodsnake

Back in Black
Established Member
You talking about redlinegoods.com?

What's funny is they offer an e-brake boot as well (which I need for my console), and it's $32 cheaper than the Ford piece from LRS. Hell, the Ford piece is $76, and I could get the shifter boot AND e-brake boot from this other place for $69. I think I know where I'm getting my e-brake boot. :D

Edit. Does anyone know if I'll run into any problems with my stock '95 e-brake handle and the '01-'04 style boot?

Last edited:

Pushrodsnake

Back in Black
Established Member
The re-coloring kit arrived yesterday, and the wheel is supposed to arrive today. I'll probably get started on it tonight. :D

DSCN0843.gif

Pushrodsnake

Back in Black
Established Member
Started re-coloring the steering wheel tonight.

Starting off with the cleaner and a light scuff with the supplied scuff pad.
DSCN0844.gif

DSCN0846.gif

A few light coats to start.
DSCN0849.gif

DSCN0848.gif

A break for some cereal.
DSCN0847.gif

This is pretty much where I'm at right now. I'm going to finish it up tomorrow so I can let the coats that are on it dry before I try to put more on there. Looking alright so far.
DSCN0850.gif

DSCN0851.gif

DSCN0852.gif

Pushrodsnake

Back in Black
Established Member
The cereal was great! The wheel still isn't done. I'm going to get a spray bottle for the final coats since the sponge is leaving marks that are akin to brush strokes. Needless to say, it looks kind of unsightly, and I want the finished product to look better. Overall I'm pleased with the current results. Just needs to be finished up. I'm a little concerned as to how it wears over time, but I'm optimistic about that since it's not my daily.

Users who are viewing this thread