Got an ST Xcal 3... Opinions on what I should run?

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
Hey guys.. I picked up an SCT Xcal 3 a few days ago.. Tuner is pretty cool, except for a few things. I'm trying to set up a 2 step and I can't get it working properly. I set the neutral rev limiter to 4k RPM's, but when it was in gear it wouldn't go over 4k rpms.. The other rev limit feature could only go as low as 6k rpm's, which is way to high for DR's IMO. Am I missing something? And what about the gear ratio feature? I don't see that either, and I'm putting 4.30's in on Thurs! :(

But as far as the tuning features I DO see... What do you guys think I should set them at? I'm in California, so I can't run 93... just 91. What kind of timing? I have it upped 2 degrees across the board, but I don't know if that's overkill or not. And what should my A/F be? I've heard around 12.5 across the board, but I'm not 100% sure. I have a Wideband I haven't put in yet, so I'll be able to monitor it with that.

Oh and I turned off the EGR... I figure I'll be fine there, but might as well ask there as well, ha.

Any input wuld be greatly appreciated! :beer:

slow98cobra

Established Member
personally n/a i like around 12.9 for the a/f ratio. For boosted a little richer but not sure on the preferred ratio, probably 11.9. Never had a blower so that is a rough estimate. I have a predator tuner so not really sure on the 2 step thing.

If this is on an sn95 mustang then the gear ratio selector does not apply because you have a mech. speedo. You have to manually change the gear on the transmission but it is a piece of cake assuming you buy the right speedo gear. 2 bolts, slide out, and replace.

Last edited:

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
Damn, I didn't even think about that. Ugh, now I have to order a Speed Cal tomorrow. My SHO is down for the count, so my Cobra is gonna be the DD till then. I'm not about to rack up any extra miles!!

slow98cobra

Established Member
Damn, I didn't even think about that. Ugh, now I have to order a Speed Cal tomorrow. My SHO is down for the count, so my Cobra is gonna be the DD till then. I'm not about to rack up any extra miles!!

I hear ya, I made the mistake of driving for awhile in my 5.0 after a rear end gear change and didn't change the speedo gear. :bash:OUCH, the miles went up fast. I'm not sure if they make a speedo gear for 4.30s so I would definitely agree with you on the speedcal even though I have never used one but the gears are going to make it fly.:burnout: Hopefully someone will chime in on the 2 stage thing because I'm curious myself to see how it works.:??:

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
AF should be 13.0-13.2 for an NA car. 12.5 is wayyyy rich and will just cause problems (like gas fouled plugs, plugging up cats if you run any, and worse gas mileage)

I have no idea on the 2 step. sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread