Got burned by a Chinese ELM327 OBD2 bluetooth adapter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
So I only bought the cheap one because I see many people have success with them. Of course with my luck this one was trash. It pairs with the phone just fine but the torque app won't recognize the adapter.

I can't justify spending $70-100 for the scantool lx or mx, just to be able to read IAT2's, boost, and voltage.

Anyone know if I can do something to make the one I have work? Software update/reflash or something? Or maybe someone knows a place that sells the cheap ones that work 100% of the time? I saw the BAFX ones that people say you have a better chance of not being garbage, but its still not a definite thing... and apparently the communication speed is not on par with the scantool mx. $100 for some gauges though? Idk, I can always just pop the hood and see if the IC pump is circulating, I know what my max boost is, and voltage isn't that big of a deal (no system or anything sucking up juice).

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

b_dike

Established Member
As cheap as they are, why not just buy another? I know it's hit or miss, but the majority of them seem to work. Mine worked, my fathers work, and a friend has one that works... Just saying the chances of getting two bad ones are slim.

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Do you guys think the faster communication time of the scantool makes that much of a difference?

bigmoose

Established Member
Do you guys think the faster communication time of the scantool makes that much of a difference?

It does if you plan to datalog. I have the MX and it works flawless. I went through three elm327 devices before I bought my MX.

o2k

Noob
Established Member
same thing was going on with mine... so I bought another reader.. and then it wouldn't work either... But I was using an unpaid version of torque.. I downloaded the free version of torque.. and they both worked..

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
I did return it and got a refund for the torque app since I couldn't use it. I'm not confident that I'll get a good unit out of these cheap Chinese replicas. It seems as though the bafx could be OK but there are many reviews about issues with Ford. The one in the link above also has chances of not working. Idk what to do at this point really. I'd love to be somewhere buying it where I can try it out.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I did return it and got a refund for the torque app since I couldn't use it. I'm not confident that I'll get a good unit out of these cheap Chinese replicas. It seems as though the bafx could be OK but there are many reviews about issues with Ford. The one in the link above also has chances of not working. Idk what to do at this point really. I'd love to be somewhere buying it where I can try it out.

who cares, have them keep sending them to you until one works.

the chances the second one will suck too is astounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread